• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

my star polyps are growing like crazy

check them out...i bought a 4 inch rock online and it now spread all over the place..my tank is 180 gallons and the picture is of the overflow to the back of the tank to give you an idea of how much area it is covering...right now it is covering the top half of the overflow...i hope it covers the bottom part too eventually, i adjusted my powerheads to help ease it in that direction..

P1000173.jpg

reefsandrotts said:
Good luck keeping other corals with that amount of star polyps,they will just smother anything they come accross.

As long as you keep up on them they are controllable , i have a whole tank of corals without any problems except for one set of zoos that grew out of control and took over half the tank...but nothing landscaping couldn't fix..

crazinezz978 said:
wow how long did it take to grow that much?

that growth is about 9 months...star polyps are like zoos they grow crazy if they are in a good spot..(strong current, lighting, iodine)

That's a lot of growth. I just put in a 2 inch piece of GSP. I am hoping to fill in the back wall and overflow of my 28g. I do know that they grow fast, but I have heard that they are not too difficult to keep up with (cut out if needed)

dastrader said:
That's a lot of growth. I just put in a 2 inch piece of GSP. I am hoping to fill in the back wall and overflow of my 28g. I do know that they grow fast, but I have heard that they are not too difficult to keep up with (cut out if needed)

if you add iodine and have strong current it will grow quick, but still not quick enough where you can't control it..you can cut out whatever you dont want and give it to a friend if you want..lol

thats great. when i first started 5 years ago i had that kinda luck with star polyps. they would grow all up the back wall of my acrylic tank.

Do you test your iodine levels? My GSP hasn't expanded at all since I purchased it (6 months or si) - al though it has grown out/up (larger polyps).

I have iodine, and I have put a cap full in two times in the past 6 months, but I'm always pretty skeptical on dosing my tank.

I still need to read the forum posting on advanced reef keeping ( or chem levels in general). It's on the list after this semester is over, work calms down, or the new baby gives me a chance :)

Thanks!
Ben

a full capful of iodine is wayyyyyy to much as i believe you have a 46 gallon tank. first off you should be getting enough from water changes. if you do so wish to dose it, test for it. if you cant test for it and so with to dose it, under dose it.

the closer to the light you put GSP the faster it grows. the issue is that once it takes hold on rocks its difficult to seperate it from them, this is why i keep mine down on the sand bed isolated.

D

Deleted member 10862

let me know if you are willing to sell some frags of the gsp..

That looks awesome. I used to have a bowfront the entire tank was star polyps the side , back walls and all of the rock , it looked really cool under actinics.

i have to be honest. i have a colony that is spreading wildly..i hear that its easy to peel them back with their mat....not so much for me...the mat is very thin and just tears rite through the mat...