• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

My tank website

Subliminal

NJRC Member
If there's any way you can make the cursor a pointer, or change somehow, when you mouse over a clickable link, that'd be nice.

Looks good though...I want frag #1. Where are you located? ;)

Looking good Sub! If you need some direction on that webcam you let me know.. Good luck and I will be looking forward to SEEING it! :D

Subliminal said:
If there's any way you can make the cursor a pointer, or change somehow, when you mouse over a clickable link, that'd be nice. ...

Hmmm, they do that by default. At least in my IE browser they do (hand). What kind of OS and browser are you using? Also, mouse changes into question pointer (help) over any image that is clickable. Which links you had in mind, maybe I messed something somewhere.

Subliminal said:
... Where are you located? ;)

Plainsboro (08536). Are you comming to the next meeting (which is very close to me)? I can bring it there, or you can come by at some other time.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Very cool! I really like that you have the mouse over feature. Lot's of good stuff in there!

malulu

NJRC Member
mladencovic,

this is VERY NICE!!! I specially like the click on to show details and the history features... we should all do something like that! great idea!!

How much time you alreadt spent to do this? it is like maintaining two tanks!
I am capable (technologywise) of to do something similar - but, only if i have the time!

Subliminal

NJRC Member
mladencovic said:
Hmmm, they do that by default. At least in my IE browser they do (hand). What kind of OS and browser are you using? Also, mouse changes into question pointer (help) over any image that is clickable. Which links you had in mind, maybe I messed something somewhere.

I use Firefox. That must be why.

Very Cool!

Would love to get an idea of the requirements necessary to construct and maintain a site like this.

malulu said:
How much time you alreadt spent to do this? it is like maintaining two tanks!
I am capable (technologywise) of to do something similar - but, only if i have the time!

Thanks, I have spent 2-3 weeks coding and 2-3 weeks (so far, since I haven't finished it yet) on organizing the pictures and the other stuff. Interestingly enough, I have started the whole thing so I could save some time. By now, I probably have more then 20Gb of pictures and hundreds of links, articles and resources, and by forcing myself to organize them, I am getting much more efficiently to the information I need. I am very forgetful person, and this will help me maintan my tank a bit easier. By the way, code is very simple in itself, I just wasted a lot of time trying to figure out how I wanted it to look and feel. Also, for this specific project I was experimenting to see what is the maximum I can do with only client side Javascript code, which complicated matters a bit :)

Subliminal said:
mladencovic said:

I use Firefox. That must be why.

This is a very good point. Since I like embedded information mining structures, I like when every piece of information leads to the additional information. When implementing that, I must make sure that the user has a clear notion that clicking on something will provide additional information. Can you please send me an example of the link you were talking about.

blange3 said:
Very Cool!

Would love to get an idea of the requirements necessary to construct and maintain a site like this.

The reason I was experimenting with the Javascript, is that technological requirements are extremely minimal. The only thing required is a space where these pages and the pics can be placed, and that is then accessible from the browser. You can place the whole thing on your own dedicated web server, or on your internet provider's server that they are giving you for "free", or on a Google's, Yahoo's or Geocities' space, or even on your laptop's hard drive. The same code should work everywhere. All of it is, up to now, client side Javascripts and just a server side plain disk space, nothing more. However that might change in future if I decide to optimize and automatize certain things. And just so that you do not get scared about setting your own web server, mine is sitting on a 10 years old PC that half of the time wont boot at all, but when it does, it runs on a 64Mb RAM (or did I upgrade it to 128Mb I don't remember :) ), 133MHz CPU and 10Gb "upgraded" HD and still has the HI/LO speed button ;D . Only Linux and maybe DOS can run on a crappy box like that. Web cam streaming software, if I make it run through my network, firewals and security software will have to sit on a different machine - I am still working on it.