• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Mysid Shrimp Questions

Just wondering if anyone has experience with getting mysid shrimp established in their tanks. I know that a couple of the LFS (Absolutely Fish and Sea Level) seem to have established populations in some of their tanks, though both have said that they just came in as hitchhikers. And they weren't doing anything specifically to keep them alive. I'm considering buying some from this website (Live Aquarium Food | Live Fish Food | Coral Food | Aquaculture). Ordered amphipods and copepods from that site before and was very happy with the density of live organisms. Now I'm thinking of ordering some of their mysid shrimp to try to get established in my refugium.

I've read that they're carnivores and will even eat each other. I also see that people establish separate cultures outside of their tanks but that's going to be too much work for me. I'm really just trying to see if I can get them to establish in my refugium. Has anyone had any success in this, and if so, what are you doing and do you have any tips?

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Just wondering if anyone has experience with getting mysid shrimp established in their tanks. I know that a couple of the LFS (Absolutely Fish and Sea Level) seem to have established populations in some of their tanks, though both have said that they just came in as hitchhikers. And they weren't doing anything specifically to keep them alive. I'm considering buying some from this website (Live Aquarium Food | Live Fish Food | Coral Food | Aquaculture). Ordered amphipods and copepods from that site before and was very happy with the density of live organisms. Now I'm thinking of ordering some of their mysid shrimp to try to get established in my refugium.

I've read that they're carnivores and will even eat each other. I also see that people establish separate cultures outside of their tanks but that's going to be too much work for me. I'm really just trying to see if I can get them to establish in my refugium. Has anyone had any success in this, and if so, what are you doing and do you have any tips?

The problem is in order for you to keep the
Mysid shrimp alive you have to feed a lot.
And that will bring up your nitrates. The people that have done this successfully had a separate system to grow.

It’s easier and cheaper just to purchase frozen shrimp and feed them to your fish.

So I'd have to significantly increase my feeding from what I normally do for my fish is what you're saying? OK, I was hoping they could just get established like amphipods and copepods do. I know that the pods eat detritus and phyto, but I was hoping that mysis would survive on whatever food scraps are left over from my fish.

I'm just trying to get as much live food variety going for mandarins and leopard wrasses. Currently I buy live blackworms and live brine shrimp almost every week. Live brine isn't particularly nutritious, even though I try to gut load them with phyto and Selcon. By the way, does anyone know of a place (or person) locally that has mysid that I could buy for the occasional feeding? I definitely know that frozen is cheaper (and more convenient), just want to give some variety especially to fish that are a little more finicky.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
So I'd have to significantly increase my feeding from what I normally do for my fish is what you're saying? OK, I was hoping they could just get established like amphipods and copepods do. I know that the pods eat detritus and phyto, but I was hoping that mysis would survive on whatever food scraps are left over from my fish.

I'm just trying to get as much live food variety going for mandarins and leopard wrasses. Currently I buy live blackworms and live brine shrimp almost every week. Live brine isn't particularly nutritious, even though I try to gut load them with phyto and Selcon. By the way, does anyone know of a place (or person) locally that has mysid that I could buy for the occasional feeding? I definitely know that frozen is cheaper (and more convenient), just want to give some variety especially to fish that are a little more finicky.

They will always eat the frozen. The frozen is also clean. It makes your life easier to buy frozen and feed as needed. I am sure eating live chickens is better for us humans but we buy frozen Because it’s crazy to keep live chickens at home. lol Keep it simple