• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Name that coral

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
So, had this for a few years.
This is the leading edge.
Moderate grower.
Pink.
Has bumps all over it.
The occasional bump projects upward.
Occasionally these bumps form pretty cool projections (just right of mid is a large projection on other side of rock).
Polyps are also pink.
It sorta encrusts, but will expand beyond the rock building its own base (look at front edge in photo).
The projections grow up, but the main base grows down, sorta like a lava flow.
Love it.
No idea what it is and its stumped any of the coral gurus that have been by.
Thats dragon breath macro on the right, nothing to do with the coral.

IMG_4893.jpg

DYIguy

NJRC Member
So, had this for a few years.
This is the leading edge.
Moderate grower.
Pink.
Has bumps all over it.
The occasional bump projects upward.
Occasionally these bumps form pretty cool projections (just right of mid is a large projection on other side of rock).
Polyps are also pink.
It sorta encrusts, but will expand beyond the rock building its own base (look at front edge in photo).
The projections grow up, but the main base grows down, sorta like a lava flow.
Love it.
No idea what it is and its stumped any of the coral gurus that have been by.
Thats dragon breath macro on the right, nothing to do with the coral.

View attachment 43476
Dibs on a frag:D

Bot587

NJRC Member
Montipora setosa?
from seeing this in person I don't believe its in the montipora family (unless the polyps are microscopic). Smooth skin and no polyp extension that i ever saw from it.

I always felt like it was an extremely uncommon species of coralline algae, except that it grows nodules, most of the rarer corraline strains cap like a monti cap

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Blue Ridge. I think it is called blue ridge because the skeleton has a hint of blue on it. And is considered a soft coral. Likes shaded areas for best color.