• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

nano and firefish

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Do you have any other fish in the tank? Depending on what else you have in there/or want to put in there will depend if you can keep the helfrichi. It might be ok either alone or with a small goby.

hey mnat....I have nothing in there right now....I just got the tank...apparantly, I simply can not give up this reefing stuff!...My 55 gallon was turned into an african cichlid tank...beautiful and easy to manage, but I'm missing saltwater...

This is what I'm thinking of stocking hte tank with....in the appropriate time frames, of course

The firefish
3 blue leg hermits

2 Turbo snails
4 nassarius
2 ceriths

3 or 4 sexy shrimp
pom pom crab

various corals...palys, zoas, blue cloves, ect...

opinions people?

I was thinking of putting two onxy clowns in...the clowns I had in the 55 primarily stayed to one side of the tank...but, it just seems to small for clowns...hence the one expensive fire fish...laughs

welcome back inky! lol.

an 8 gallon - eh? what are the dimensions? you could keep a pair of juvenile clowns similar to the ones i'm raising. But after about a year or so you'd have to trade them in as they do get much bigger.

I am not a fan of hermits so that's up to you. Those other inverts sound great.

Hey Hawk, thanks!!

The dimensions are L 13 x W 14.6 x H 12.4

yeah, I'm going to skip the clowns then...I don't want to have a fish in there that I will have to return at some point...I'll just stick with the firefish

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Looks like a good plan, just a note on the sexy shrimp they are really really small and might get lost even in an 8g tank. Peppermints might be a good solution as they are bigger but still small enough for an 8g tank.

Looks like a great stocking plan, just keep an eye on that pom pom crab, we had a naughty one that kept snipping off our zoas.
My aunt is keeping a firefish in a 10g with a pair of juvenile false perc clowns- they are about .75" each, the firefish is about 1.5". She got her new fish in March, so far, all three are doing very well for her (side note: the clowns get replaced annually as they grow up and get given away, and she gets new babies- this tank is in a school).
Good luck, and welcome back!

thanks for the replies everyone!

mnat...yeah, I considered peppermint shrimp, but I had them in the 55 gallon and wanted to try something different....hopefully the sexy shrimp won't spend all their time hiding!!

Thanks, Nikki....it's good to be back!...I was goign through reefer withdrawl...lmao
hmm...will have to watch the pom pom and make sure she behaves then....I want high end zoas in this tank and if she snips any then she's going to the local lfs!...I am considering the juvinile clowns....my hesitation is that I get attached to things and didn't want to have to cycle them out of this tank and cycle new ones in (awesome idea for your teacher aunt!)...I may just stick to the one firefish ..still have time to decide.....it broke my heart to tear down the 55 gallon and thankfully all my livestock went to good homes!...only suffered one casualty!...thanks for your input!

rodclement

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hey welcome back and good luck with the new tank! I have a nano in my very near future since I spend more time at work then at home! (don't we all?)

I have an image in my head of a bare bottom, square, rimless nano tank with a single live rock formation on the center, breaking the awter line, and just zoas from the bottom to the top, like one very colorful structure...the weels are turning!

Plese post the progress!

Rod

grins...sounds like a very nice vision, Rod...and I will definitely post progress of the nano....I've already changed my mind...not doing the firefish...going with two baby clowns!

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
rodclement said:
I have an image in my head of a bare bottom, square, rimless nano tank with a single live rock formation on the center, breaking the awter line, and just zoas from the bottom to the top, like one very colorful structure...the weels are turning!

Don't forget the Mangrove at the top of the rock...That would be cool....HMMmm!