• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Natureef help

last week my bacteria in the natureef started falling off the walls and egg crate. Not sure what is causing it, but now the walls are pretty much empty and there is a layer of bacteria about a half of an inch deep on the floor of the reactor.

Any help would be great.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
IIRC this is normal, and it will kick off again on its own or you can add some more from someone else.

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Hans check and make sure your nitragone is being dosed. Sounds like the bacteria isn't being fed. Next time it doses, observe the doser and make sure it coming out of the tube.

I made a line on each bottle three days ago. The nitragone has lowered by a 1/4 inch and the phosphagon by 1/8 (these are the larger containers, guessing 1 gallon containers).
Been testing water the last 10 a lot (just set up calcium reactor). My nitrates are way lower than they used to be (went from around 25 down to 5. I did cut back on frozen food. I was doing a small ice cube size mixture of frozen once a day, now doing every other day (food was rinsed in RO water, and tank is around 400 gallons total volume).
My phosphate has dropped from 2.59 (triton test a couple months ago) to .75-1 salient test today. And my macro in fuge has dropped off/ died/disappeared to about half of what it was a month ago.

I figured this was all due to nutrient reduction and I started running gfo /phosguard (switching between the two every two weeks).

Also sorry Darren was trying not to bug you on your vacation/anniversary. Congrats to you and your wife. I will be celebrating 19 years if marriage in June........somehow lol

Okay I spoke with a guy from Florida (from reef central) who helped me. I am seeing new bacteria starting to grow on walls again. Here's hoping no more mishaps