• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Need a little advise on skimmers - Berlin 250.

I bought a 125 complete running and it came with a skimmer, a berlin 250 classic. Rated for upto 250 gallons. So i did a little research, and i see that people dont really like the skimmer. I dont understand why ! The skimmer i have is pulling about 1/5 cup full every week. Is that suppose to be good at all or should i get a better skimmer that can skim even faster? The tank only has one pink tail trigger about 7.5". And i will be adding more fish in a week but i wanna make sure my skimmer is capable enough to take the load.

The skimmers i have tried till today would be, a seaclone, ASM G3, and then this. SO i dont know much. But the sea clone was crap. ASM was good and pulled out a lot of gunk, but the tank was a 75 with 10 fishes.

Need advise if i should keep this skimmer or sell this and buy something else?
Oh any if someone knows how to make them perform better, that would be nice too.

Tank is a 125 with wet/dry and 60lbs of live rock. 50lbs of live sand.
one pink tail trigger.

Thx.

It all depends on the bioload. If your tanks not over loaded chances are it won't be pulling out too many dissolved organics. try it out and if you don't like it get a new one.

Harry

Edward771 said:
My skimmer pulls out a gallon a week.

Wow, what skimmer are you using? And whats your tank like?

- If i was to invest in a new one, what should be my first choice! Its a 125 and will probably be high bioload because i am looking for all big fishes, about 7 on my list so far.
- hippo, yellow, purple, naso, huma, 1 maroon clown and my current residence the pink tail trigger.

i have done a bit of research on skimmers, i found out that most skimmers are over rated on capacity, your 250 berlin may only be good to 100 gallons in a reef type setting or less depending on load, i bougt an ets rated for 300 galons for my 175 before i did some research, now i am buying another skimmer because it is struggling

Is a 125 large enough for that list of fish? I'm pretty certain the Naso should be in something even larger, probably the hippo also.