• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

need help deciding which skimmer?

ok so i have the option of possibly getting either Dirt Devil ETSS Protein Skimmer or coral life super skimmer 125. i found them both used for about the same price only the dirt devil doesnt seem to come with a pump. what do yall think I should do in this situation?

If I were you, I wouldn't get either. I'd hold out until I save enough funds to buy either an octopus. Or an SWC. skimmer. I have an octopus 3000 and im very happy with it. Good luck.

falconut

NJRC Member
I agree with AngelPete, unless they are dirt cheap, I'd save to money for something newer. SWC & Bubble Magus are pretty cheap and get good reviews.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I am in the same situation as you. I have decided to live with what I have and save for a REAL skimmer. I am leaning towards a Reef Octopus.
Heck if you want a Coralife skimmer I can trade you. LOL
The pump is shot. So you would need to replace it.

I agree hold out and wait for a better skimmer,some say that the skimmer is one if not the most important pc of equiptment in a reef tank.I have a reef octo too and luv it.

The skimmer is hands down the most important part of your system. Su$ks cause nobody ever really sees it, its expensive, and dosent come with fancy dimming features and all like lighting does. I would save your bucks for the best skimmer possible. Swc's and reef octo's are great and arent overpriced.

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Skimmer + Group Buy = Win!

I bought my one Reef Octo from a group buy and the other when Marine Depot had a killer sale on the Reef Octo 4" skimmer. Wait and save for a good skimmer, or wait for a sale to come around, it will be worth it in the long run.