• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Need help identifying and eradicating nuisance red carpet/turf 'Alga'(??)

I have a saltwater reef tank that is dogged by a red turf/carpet algae (or at least I think that' what it is). Can anyone help identify this red carpet looking turf/LR algae. It is easy to remove with a power head but comes back within a week every time. It doesn't seem to harm anything but is unsightly and a downright nuisance!! URGHHHHH

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Dwight

150 gal.
Alk 10.2 DKH
SG 1.024
Temp 76.3
PH 8.27

Attachments

• 20200515_175856.jpg
    20200515_175856.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
  • 20200515_175824.jpg
    20200515_175824.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
  • 20200515_175820.jpg
    20200515_175820.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
From my experience, usually when something dies, (like a snail) I'll see some cyano in my tank.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Agree cyano.
Chemiclean will help but need to determine root cause of excessive nutrients.

Agree cyano.
Chemiclean will help but need to determine root cause of excessive nutrients.
Im running a 60 gallon sump with cheto and nutrients test low. The one concern I have is the sand bed. When I turn the sand its like a cesspool. I siphon it regularly but can never get to it all because it's a very mature tank with lock and lots of SPS coral that I can;t move.

Over time I hope to eliminate the sand bed altogether through natural depletion from siphoning and water changes.

Mostly nassarius snails but I haven't replenished in some time. I had a sand sifting Goby but he didn't live very long.

john90009

NJRC Member
What type of lighting is over the tank and how old are the bulbs? Just curious because I see it’s affecting your birds nest so it’s it’s halides that are old that could attribute to it.