• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

NEED HELP - O3 Ozoniator = no ick + no alage??

Hi guys, I wanted to know if anyone uses o3 Ozoniator? I actually got one, and put it in my tank with a air stone (i have a 24 gallon jbj cube) in the back of the sump. I actually have ICK at the moment.

I also need suggestion with ick treatment, I can't put copper, b/c I have inverts, and don't have a quarintine tank. I thought, if i buy this, it would help with the ick and alage problem. ( can anyone give me an idea of how long to keep this on? I was told for only a 1hr.

Can anyone also tell me how to set up a quarintine tank. I know I will need a heater an air pump with an air stone? what else??

Thanks.

I did also buy the RO/DI system, which I think is helping my tank alot, I am not getting green alage all over the glass within a day of the water change and light being on..

I know I should have a protein skimmer, but can't find one for a nano, I don't want one that will take up whole section in the back of the tank. Any suggestions?

I'm going to assume that's an ozone generator. You really don't want to be adding ozone right into the tank. It needs to be injected into a protein skimmer or ozone reactor. It can be harmful if not lethal to your fish if the concentration gets high enough.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
120gallons said:
... It can be harmful if not lethal to your fish if the concentration gets high enough.

Which is why everyone who runs one has it connected to a ORP probe, to measure the levels and shut it down if the levels get too high. Procede with caution. The risks can DEFINITELY outweigh the rewards in this case. Not to mention you are probably bubbling a lot of the o3 out right into you living space, which could have adverse affects on humans.

There's an Advanced Aquarist article (a little help here?) that you should read if you're going to be using ozone.

Be safe.

Here's a reefkeeping article. Couldn't find the aa one.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-03/rhf/index.php

Should add, that I use ozone injected through my G3 skimmer and it has had extremely positive results on my tank so far. But like Phyl said you have to use it properly, be careful and use a controller.

With a nano also, you would need very small amounts of ozone as well.

On your other question, there are plenty of nano skimmers available now. I don't have a nano so can't comment on what's a good one.

I hate to be the bringer of bad news but the ozone generator isn't going to help with ich.

You really have little choice but to pull the fish (only the fish) and keep them out of the tank for 6 to 8 weeks (fallow) so the parasites in the tank die off. While the fish are out of the tank you can treat them using several different methods but any/all of them will require a QT/hospital tank.

Maybe someone on here could help you out if you don't have the needed equipment. If you're anywhere near Bordentown I could treat your fish for you and hold them until you're ready for them again.

Oh concerning the ozone generator. Turn it off. You can't run it with an airstone directly in the tank as others have mentioned. Generally speaking running ozone in a nano isn't a good idea because even if you have a skimmer in it there isn't a lot of contact time and typically some ozone still makes it into the tank.

A UV (ultra violet) sterilizer is a much better choice for a nano over ozone.

Carlo

danthemanj

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Amrit,

If you run O3 directly in the back of the tank, you will wipe out your tank and harm everybody in your house. Please read the reef keeping article in the thread to run O3 safely. Call me and I'll help you understand it if you like.

Dan

That particular ozone generator (nor any hobby one) doesn't have enough output to hurt people living in the house.

I actually use my spare 1000mg ozone generator directly in my office/tank room going full blast all the time since I smoke in the house. It takes a very strong dose to hurt people, much higher then most people think. Now if I did the same with my pool ozone generator then that unit could cause a health issues.

Here nor there, it definitely isn't good for the tank however and can potentially hurt the tank although in all honesty it's not really going to be doing much of anything in it's present setup. For the most part all the ozone is escaping out the top of the tank via the rising bubbles. There really isn't much "contact time" happening.

I was thinking about this a bit. You could get this to work pretty decently with some creativity BUT I'd highly recommend having an ORP controller to control things. Anyway, to get the most from the ozone generator you could set it up in the FIRST compartment in the back of the nano. You would want to keep this first compartment empty except for a maxijet 1200 and attached ozone. The MJ1200 will have the same type of affect as using a protein skimmer (for ozone anyway) in that compartment with enough contact time to make a difference. If you get any type of water coming out of the top (likely) of the compartment cut down one of the sponges that came with the nano and stuff it up top to keep the water in that compartment (but leave plenty of "water room" in the compartment).

In the SECOND chamber make sure to run a decent amount of carbon AND ALSO make sure the water is pushed through the carbon and can't go around it.

Let me know if any part of this needs clarification. For what it's worth I haven't ever tried this but I'd think this should work well and be safe assuming you have an ORP controller or run limited amounts of ozone.

Carlo

Who's ozone unit did you buy exactly ? You have a 24 gallon jbj cube nano ? I would shut that off yesterday till I know what the output of that ozone unit is. Does this unit have a dial on it ?

Some things to know about ozone

Ozone and the Reef Aquarium, Part 1: Chemistry and Biochemistry
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-03/rhf/index.php

Ozone and the Reef Aquarium, Part 2: Equipment and Safety
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-04/rhf/index.php

Ozone and the Reef Aquarium, Part 3: Changes in a Reef Aquarium upon Initiating Ozone
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-05/rhf/index.php

Boomer said:
Who's ozone unit did you buy exactly ? You have a 24 gallon jbj cube nano ? I would shut that off yesterday till I know what the output of that ozone unit is. Does this unit have a dial on it ?

Some things to know about ozone

Ozone and the Reef Aquarium, Part 1: Chemistry and Biochemistry
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-03/rhf/index.php

Ozone and the Reef Aquarium, Part 2: Equipment and Safety
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-04/rhf/index.php

Ozone and the Reef Aquarium, Part 3: Changes in a Reef Aquarium upon Initiating Ozone
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-05/rhf/index.php

Interesting articles. Never crossed my mind that ozon generators can potentially add nitrates to the water. Just shows you the complexity of things we do. :)

It actually does not add nitrates / say but converts various nitrogen based organics much more quickly than through normal biological actions than it would in the absence of Ozone. However, yes it can potentially add nitrate if there is high moisture in the feed air, which produces Nitric acid, which ends up getting converted to Nitrate, which could enter the tank. The real potential here is if there are any metal fittings in the post ozone feed line. The Nitric acid will attack these metals, such as brass and produce free copper in solution ( see pic). Another conversion we knew about but some how left out of the article, was the conversion of Nitrite to Nitrate. O3 easily oxidizes any Nitrite to Nitrate. The biggest issue with ozone is if you use to much you will reduce your skimmate.

NO2 + O3 ---> NO3 + O2

What ozone did to a post ozone generator brass fitting in one guys reef tank

Boomer said:
... However, yes it can potentially add nitrate if there is high moisture in the feed air, which produces Nitric acid, which ends up getting converted to Nitrate, which could enter the tank...
Yea, that is what I was talking about :)