• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

need help on phosban reactor

hi everyone,
I got a phosban reactor, the too little fishy and try to set it up. i accidentally connect the valve at the output of the unit. some of the red stuff got into my sump and my tank. would this stuff kill my fish and coral? I am so frustrate at myself for being neglect and stupid at this point. I took the unit off line and try it at my sink. thing seem to work right at this point however, I still see red stuff come out of the outlet in the sink. i don't want to disturb the media too much but there is still some fine particle raise. how do I adjust to stop these fine particle to raise up? Or should I flush out all fine particles?
Olivier

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You want the valve in the INPUT side of the reactor. That will be the hose that connects in the middle of the top plate.

Generally you will use about a cup of Phosban/GFO. You need to flush the reactor until it runs clear. Easiest way is to take the output end that you would normally put in the tank and put it in a bucket, then let the reactor run. In about 3 gallons or so, the reactor will run clear.

You want a slow rate. Use the valve to set the rate so the top 1/8 inch of the GFO media looks like it is boiling, Thats all there is too it.

The brown that has leaked into your tank is not a problem other than appearance. Put some extra carbon and it will clear out pretty fast.