• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Need help w. some opinions: retrofit vs. fixture

Hi all - I'm preparing to buy retro fit kit, but could really use some opinions before I do. I see two 108w units available with worhorse ballasts for $200 with new bulbs, although I can't help but think twice about the advantages of a fixture that has fans built into the back like the Sundial 216w for $272 in the link below.
http://www.aquarium-supply.biz/48_inch_T5_Fluorescent_Fixtures_s/339.htm

Can I get opinions on what route you would take- retro vs. fixture? My canopy is not drilled for fans, so I also wonder if I can just mount the fans inside to blow on the bulbs at an angle.

Wow...these decisions aint easy! Since I am leaning heavily towards the retro, my main thing to learn if anyone can advise about their preference towards a fixture that can sit inside like this.
Thanks
Bob

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I always like the retros. You can always fit them into the next upgrade.

Bump for some more help on this please!

In addition the retrofit arrangement I am considering to buy tomorrow has Triad ballasts. Anyone have any experience or heard anything on these?

Thanks

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Bob, I'd love to help you out but lighting is not my strong suit. There are so many options and choices that whenever I read these threads I feel like I'm reading an unsolved cryptoquote!

Amen to that John! It's giving me a headache. My problem is that I plan I spending some dough on coral between now and then meeting so I can't go hog wild. I almost bought a pc off of ebay for $100, only to go to T5s very soon. (then I came to my senses)

I did make progress in that I am pretty sure I am going retro-fit. It figures that around the same time I found two different fixtures that fell much more into my price range I have been trying to keep. I think if I don't buy this retro I am looking tomorrow, I will call Will at AO to see what he can for me on Sat.

Any other thoughts are appreciated. Especially if anyone knows a good source for retrofit. I see bulkreefsupply is pretty good but I am not crazy about icecaps and teks.

Thx

bob, get a t5 unit.
I just bought a current nova extreme pro, the one just below the one you are looking at. i bought it directly from current. a refurb. it is 48 inch 6 t5 bulbs, HIGH OUTPUT> the one you are looing at isnt HO. the PRO is cool, the great part is the individual reflectors on each bulb. $239
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270251884553&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=017
i have the 8 bulb nova extreme on my zoanthid frag tank. it is great too.
i am taking down my MH lamps off of my sps frag tank.
good luck.
renee

Thanks Renee - That is a very good deal. Shipping brings it back up to closer to Gina's lighting pricing, but that is a good find. I ended up putting in some retro fit T5s as I really needed to make a move to do some stocking. I did not see this one when searching under "aquarium lighting". How did you pull it up?
Thanks