• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Need help with Bean Animal Overflow

bigyankfan

Treasurer
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I am trying to do a Bean Animal Overflow on my 225 but it is incredibly loud. I did the type in the picture below but I never got the water level to be higher than the top of the primary drain and did not draw in enough water. I then replaced the strainer on the primary with two street elbows making a downward U that was completely submerged as I saw in a YouTube video. It drew in a lot more water but it was still very noisy. I followed the instructions to the letter (except for adding the gate valve) but can't get it to be quiet. Any suggestions would be appreciated - thx.

Attachments

• Types+of+Overflow+Drains-03.jpg
    Types+of+Overflow+Drains-03.jpg
    530.7 KB · Views: 8

horseplay

NJRC Member
Eric - for this you need to close the gate valve enough so the water goes down in siphon though the primary drain. There should be only a trickle in the secondary drain. If you cannot get the water higher than the top of the primary drain then the gate valve is too open or maybe it's defective. Keep in mind in siphon mode the amount of flow through the pipe is tremendous so the gate valve maybe more closed than you think it should.

And also, do not plumb a U the primary drain. I would argue that the secondary drain can be just a straight pipe also like the emergency drain.

Crabby

NJRC Member
I realize this is BA, but after gurgle city showed up I put a U type with strainer on bottom of course on primary in this Herbie. I never drilled the cap and put a hose in. It's super silent, after fiddling with valve. Wondering why I would need to drill the cap on top anyhow. 20220624_174117.jpg