• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Need Help with DIY Top-off system

Hey all! We were setting up a top-off system over the weekend and found out this morning that it doesn't really work :'(

We used a simple float switch

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230427923643&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

it is hooked up to a neptune computer. When water level is low, the computer turns on the pump and pump suppose to add water to the sump ... well, suppose to but it is not happening. :'(

First of all, when computer turns on the pump, pump just sits there and makes noise. I have to shake it for it to start pumping the water ??? The pump is new, just bought it yesterday.

The second BIG problem, when the water starts to flow, it doesn't stop ??? :eek:
The computer shuts off the pump, but the water will be flowing until the water level in the bucket drops and will be lower than in the sump.
Unfortunately, we have no basement, so the bucket with RO water has to be next to the sump. I have no other place for it.
Is there a trick to shut off the water? And why is this pump acting so weird?
Any ideas?

Sounds like you have a siphon problem as far as shutting off goes. You need to have the top of the hose above the level of the water where is it being pumped from. As far as the pump not starting that is ???? I guess it is a lemon?

You need to use an dosing style pump or keep the end of the top off hose out of the water to prevent the back siphon. Also, sometimes relays can hang open on low draw pumps like the toms aqualifter and you have to use a mechanical relay. I think the neptunes have that as an option accessory. The reef keepers are mechanical relays on plugs 1 and 4.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Add this switch to the same plug that turns on your top off and nothing else is needed.
Your pump is hard to start a siphon. If this switch is in line, it'll hold the water in the lines. It stays closed until you get power to it, then it opens.

http://www.autotopoff.com/solenoid/

Your pump is losing its prime thats why it wont start. My tunze does the same thing if i take it out of the water and put it back in. You can run the top off line up to your tank overflow and dump it in there. Just make sure you dont submerge it in the water at all or it will siphon the tank water into your top off container then all over your floor. Or, ou can run the top off line up high to the bottom of your stand and have it shoot into your sump from up there, if that height is higher than the water level in your top off container. Just put a bigger piece of pvc pipe sticking up from the bottom of your sump with a t or elbow on the bottom of it to the top of your cabinet stand and fasten your top off hose into the open top end of this. just stick your top off hose a few inches inside this pipe, or leave an air gap so it wont siphon back. Had mine like this it worked flawlessly for years.