• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

need help with my brain

i have red lobo that i have just started to see some tissue recession on
the recession is slow but I'm concerned .

tank parameters were tested tonight with new kits.
temp 78* ,sg 1.025, ph 8.0, phosphate 0, nitrate 0, alk 8dkh , calcium 500

now i know the alk could be higher and the calcium should be lower but are these too far out of line to cause a problem like this?

what should i do to get the lobo to turn around and start covering the bare skeleton?

i have had it a few weeks, bought it at trop.

temp swing is only a few degrees after lights out and i have not tested mag yet
going to pick up a test kit and see

what kind of flow do you have? is there water circulation around the lobo but not directly at it? and the part of the skeleton exposed- is it pure white or is there a greenish tinge?

hey merv....its getting moderate flow but not direct and the discoloration is whitish, and it looks like the flesh has shrunk back about 1/4 inch or so.

albie611 said:
hey merv....its getting moderate flow but not direct and the discoloration is whitish, and it looks like the flesh has shrunk back about 1/4 inch or so.

okay, it looks like your flow is still a little bit much. The only flow I had going towards my recovering brain was from underneath since I had it sitting on an eggcrate rack. The flow was minimal, so slow that I could feed the coral at night with mashed pieces of shrimp without being blown completely away. Lobophillias prefer calmer waters, their red coloration may be indicative of slightly deeper water, which has slower flow than compared to lets say, a reef mount or crest where acros thrive. They occur on rocky substrates, not on the sand, so placement in your tank is key if you have it on the bottom and if you have sand. (Green skeletal recession is sometimes indicative of excess phosphate)

Also, light. They prefer moderate lighting. Although not a huge issue, too little light will prevent the zooxanthellae on the coral from producing food for the coral, which you can supplement with macerated shrimp at night when the tentacles are out.

The larger of the two factors will be your water flow. and try not to move it around once it starts recuperating.

Good luck, and I hope you find some useful info on my article from rc

When in doubt water change the system as much as possible using clean RO/DI water with no TDS and use a quality salt that has no nitrates. Make sure u age the new salt water at least a day. Good Luck Also don't blast the LPS with flow