• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Need Help with T5s

Daniel

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
have a question I am looking at getting 72" NovaExtreme Pro 12x39 watt T5s and I would replace all bulb with ATI Bulbs. My tank is only 72" long x 24" depth (sand bed to water line) and 18" wide. Because I can get it for a steal. I have SPS from top to half way down and the rest is LPS. This light would be replacing my 3 250w M/H with two 72" VHO setup.
Do you think this light would be OK for my set up?

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
You will be fine. I have a 12 bulb T5 fixture on my 150 gallon. It is 30 inch deep.
I have SPS upto half way in my tank and they all are very happy.

The ATI bulbs are great. I have a combo of ATI, Griesmann and Ice Cap.

Sunny

Daniel

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thanks for the help.
I wounder if they will look as bright as my 3 250W M/H.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
I think my tank is pretty bright. Well at least bright enough that I am fighting algae growth after the bulb change :(

You are welcome to come and take a look.

You will be fine as far as the SPS corals growing. I have clams on the bottom growing great.

Brightness factor, that is a word that is hard to quantify....not exactly par.
I would say it will not be as bright...you won't have the shimmer MH gives you or LEDs give.
However, the colors I think are more dynamic IMHO. You can have a good mix of bulbs that really makes all colors pop. Sort of a preference thing.

Hope that helps. If you are close to monroereef or another T5 guy go check it out.
I am in Little Silver if that helps.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Daniel,

FWIW I just replaced my 3 x 250 + 2 VHO's with T5's.

I purchased a TEK T5 8 bulb fixture. It's a 5 foot fixture on a 6 foot tank. I really couldn't notice a difference, and neither could the corals! The only thing is that I'm not keeping SPS. But I do have Acans on the bottom of the tank that are doing great.

Daniel

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Brian said:
Daniel,

FWIW I just replaced my 3 x 250 + 2 VHO's with T5's.

I purchased a TEK T5 8 bulb fixture. It's a 5 foot fixture on a 6 foot tank. I really couldn't notice a difference, and neither could the corals! The only thing is that I'm not keeping SPS. But I do have Acans on the bottom of the tank that are doing great.

Brian I have bin looking at this fixture Sunlight Tek Light T5 Hood - 60" x 8 bulb it says it is 19 wide is that the hole fixture or the lens opening? My tank is only 18" wide.
Have you notice if it puts out less heat into your room than your M/H setup?
Also dose it come with protective acrylic lens? I have heard some say it dose not?
Thank you,
Dan

Daniel

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I was also thinking since my tank is 72" long maybe I would be better off going with 2 36" 6x39W Tek Light Elite T5 High-Output.

Daniel

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Brian,
Is your light hanging or sitting on top of the tank? Mine will need to sit on top of my tank.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
So far it seems like they aren't heating the room at all. We'll see in the summertime though. I believe the dimensions they list are for the entire fixture and there isn't any acrylic lens cover.

I have the fixture hanging inside of my canopy. I wanted to get a 6' fixture (the ATI that James linked to) but I couldn't fit it inside my canopy. I am happy that I didn't spend all that extra money though. I am WAY happier than I thought I would have been with them.