• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Need Help.....

Does anyone have the ability to Quarentine and treat LARGE fish? I have something going on on my 300 that is attacking fish BAD......I lost my emperor last night Now all my other fish are starting to get the effects. I have a large 8-9" Hippo Large 8-9" Sailfin Large Dog Faced Puffer, Purple Tang, Yellow tang and more. If you are good with treating fish and can come over to help me get them out they are yours. I would rather see someone that can help them take them. I think if they are not treated soon they will only make it anojther couple days. I am located 5 minutes from the Commodore Barry Bridge in NJ 08085. BILL

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I wonder if you could get them up to Dr. Jim? I stink at "fixing" sick fish, sadly. I wish I could help. I do have a 150g stock tank if you want to get them out of your tank and treat them (I'd start with velvet since that is a notoriously fast killer).

Bill I can't help you out, but I'd recommend more information... what do you think is happening to them? What symptoms are they showing? Can you see if you can buy/borrow some sort of large tub to use as a hospital tank if you don't have an actual tank.

Good luck

I have no idea what the heck it is....It starts out and looks like ich then it seems to get progressivly worse. I spoke to Garry from Get Tanked and he feels that trying to get them out is going to cause more harm then good......I feel horrible most of these fish I have had for years. It is all my fault to. I picked up a fish from a LFS that was not eating. I should have known better.

Edward771 said:
Sorry to hear about this. Did the hippo and the sailfin come from THR? Dr. Jim could help.

No they did not come from THR. I have had the Hippo and Sailfin for 2 years. I got them from a fellow reefer.

Ed,

FYI, the hippo and sailfin are still there.

RBU1,

I don't think Dr. Jim has the tank space to QT all those fish. It definitely sounds like velvet. Ich would not kill that suddenly. You will need to go with Copper ASAP. Any fish with symptoms is probably already a goner. I can offer you a 100G stock tank and fish trap if you want to attempt to treat.

THanks for the offer/s.

I think I am going to bite the bullet and let nature take its course. I think that the stress of tearing the tank apart would cause their demise anyway. What does velvet look like on the fish?

Looking at aome online photos from what I can tell it looks like they might have ich with lymphotosis (sp). The things on the fish are much larger that normal ich. It almost lookes like sock lint all over some of the fish. My guess is the ich is causing the stress to cause the other infection. The rapid breathing on some of the fish is from ich I assume. At times I hate this hobby.......

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sorry to hear about your sick fish.
I have a 220gallon you can borrow to setup a hospital tank if your interested.

Rbu1,

Velvet looks almost like ich sometimes. Sometimes, there are no symptoms at all. But it usually looks like velvety flakes or film. Hence the name. Usually can only be confirmed with autosopy (necrosopy?).

The thing you are describing does sound more like lympho. The problem is lympho can be viral, bacterial, and even fungal. It can be contagious or not contagious (Geez, what a terrible disease to diagnose isn't it?). I hope your system survives this.

Thanks all. I am trying a product some club members have had success with. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hopefully you'll tell us all about it when you are successful at curing your fish! ::fingers crossed::

Well the herbal stuff seems to be doing nothing. If I want to save these fish they are going to have to be removed from the tank. I have nothing to put them in and not sure how to go about helping. No onee has a set up tank that can treat these fish???? I will give you the fish I want to see them survive.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You can borrow our 150g stock tank (but you'd need to have water). We can't heal them, but you can borrow it.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
wish I could help you but the biggest empty tank I have is 30g; way to small for the fish you have. Best of luck curing them.

I want to thank everyone for the offers to help. I really would like to thank calaxa for taking the fish to treat them. We tore apart the tank tonight and removed all the fish. All that is left is my 2 moray eels. The sad part is that 2 of the fish one was my large sailfin did not make the trip. Hopefully calaxa can work some magic and save the others. I am giving this one more shot and if I have any more problems like this there will be a 300 gallon tank for sale. I am going to wait 3 months with nothing in the tank but the corals and eels. Hopefully by then the velvet and ich have left the tank. I will only purchase fish from fellow reefers that are getting rid of them. NO STORES.......If for some reason I want that special fish that I can only get at a store i will set up my QT. Again I want to thanks everyone for the offers to help. It is nice to know people are there when you need them most. BILL

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Good luck, Calaxa & Godspeed getting the fish back to health. I'm glad someone took up the task.