• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

need id

fishtank4372.jpg

fishtank4371.jpg

found this guy on a coral today any idea what kind of worm it is good or bad?

john90009

NJRC Member
They help by moving around in the sand but if you touch them they have little hairs that stick to your fingers and can cause a slight irritation- soaking it in vinegar burns away the hairs.

john90009

NJRC Member
Yea and dont go sticking your hands and fingers where they dont belong(in the sand) and you wont have to deal with their bristles.

I vote for tossing it out hate the damm things. Iv seen takes overrun by them so you will never run out. If you get the bristles in your finger, spread some Elmers glue on the spot and peal off when dry to remove then, will still take month or better for the itching to stop, they have a mild toxin in the Bristol shaft.

if you have a large population of bristleworms, you are definitely over feeding. their population grows and shrinks with the food availability.
i've had bristles in my fingers many times and i've ever had them bother me for more than a day.

na. the only time they will eat a coral is if it's already dying. many people blame the worms but they are just doing what they do..cleaning up the dying flesh.
there are worms that eat different things, but this worm is a common bristleworm and not a coral eater.

i suppose when you target feed, and a worm tries to steal the food from the coral it might stress it or damage the flesh, but i don't think that's very common.

i vote to keep them in the tank. they eat up and old food that falls down into your sand. they do multiply fast, but like mr.x said if you have alot of them, your overfeeding (or have nasty water)

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Strange, I was just about to post a pic of an exact looking worm for ID. Glad I checked here first!