• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Need opinion and suggestions Quarantine Tank

i have a 55 gal and a 20 high- i plan on using a Ehiem 2213 pump, bare bottom with power head to set up my quarantine tank- can I get away with the 20 high for medium size fish or should i plan for the 55 gal?

I used a 24G AP for my QT, kept a naso and hippo tang for about 6 weeks I think no issues...I provided some PVC pipes for hiding spots and did very frequent water changes, about every other day. I would say you really have to keep up with that in a smaller tank. If you can add some sort of sponge to your sump to get a bit of a bacteria filter going it will be helpful FYI.

rafal07013 said:
buy fish from sources that do their own QT so you could avoid doing yourself.

mnat said:
I agree with James, 20 high will be fine.

Rafal I thought that to be the case....I think its better to QT yourself. You can actually observe the fish. I have a 125 hospital tank setup right now with my achilles, 2 clowns and a cleaner wrasse. I have a W/D filter with bioballs and a hang on bio wheel filter. I treated the tank in copper for about 16 days. I removed the copper with carbon and cuprisorb and about a week after the copper was out the achiles came down with ich again. So apparently my copper treatment was not strong enough to kill the parasite. During the copper treatment the fish looked great. I am starting a copper treatment again but this time I am buying a colorimeter so I can get a more accurate reading on the copper in the water. Believe me I have been thru a good deal of fish lose and breaking down a 300 gallon tank to remove my fish twice now (with the help of adesimon1 of course.....) but I hope to never have to do it again if I treat all new fish and observe them for a couple months....SO take the time to QT yourself it is better and the bigger the tank the easier the water parameters are to maintain.

RFD4 said:
What LFS or Online stores do their own QT?

Some stores claim they treat there fish in copper.....Hers the problems

1.) they dont properly maintain the level of copper to be effective.
2.) unless they date when the fish came in you will have no idea...copper only works in the free floating stage of ich and that can take a week or so. So if the fish cam in a few days agao the fish might have ich in its gills that you can not see. You put him in your tank and guess what ICH.....

QT yourself your better off..

Dr Jim does have some alternate medications for sale I believe. Could give it a try. I didn't use copper in mine I went with salinity. For me it worked.

my brother used the Kick ICH and he said it worked. used it in the main tank with no issues to corals.

My personal opinion is that i observe the fish in the store, if it looks sick or has spots i stay away. i also keep two sharknose gobies, cleaner wrasse and had a pair of skunk cleaners + fire shrimp. Ich is natural so use what they use in nature, Keep the fish well fed. chasing them around the tank for an hour isn't doing anyone any good, your stressed out and usually have to take the tank apart stressing out the other fish your not catching. not to mention putting them in a glass box with no rock.

this is my opinion whether anyone likes it or not.

JRWOHLER said:
Dr Jim does have some alternate medications for sale I believe. Could give it a try. I didn't use copper in mine I went with salinity. For me it worked.

Dr Jim uses chloriquine....The only problems from what I have read is it destroys your biological filtration and you can not test amounts of chloriquine in the water. So if a parasite needs a certain amount of chloriquine to kill it and you are not providing that amount your QT was useless.

ds4x4 said:
my brother used the Kick ICH and he said it worked. used it in the main tank with no issues to corals.

My personal opinion is that i observe the fish in the store, if it looks sick or has spots i stay away. i also keep two sharknose gobies, cleaner wrasse and had a pair of skunk cleaners + fire shrimp. Ich is natural so use what they use in nature, Keep the fish well fed. chasing them around the tank for an hour isn't doing anyone any good, your stressed out and usually have to take the tank apart stressing out the other fish your not catching. not to mention putting them in a glass box with no rock.

this is my opinion whether anyone likes it or not.
Brandon,

Keep doing what works for you. That usually is all you have in thhis hobby. Ich is as you say natural but see in the ocean the fish can swim away from an ich infested area. In our tanks there is no escape. You may have a hand on the ich in your tank but eventually it will catch up and kill some or all of the fish in the tank. Keep in mind I have been thru this twice now, and Anthony and Terri helped me tear that 300 down twice. I speak from expeirience and truct me I tried all those reef safe treatments and even thought they may seem to work it will be back in the future. If you dont tank the time to remove all the fish and treat them as stressful as it may be, you and everyone else with ich in their tanks are just playing russian roulette. You may be fine (with ich) but for me its not worth taking the chance any more. Any fish I get will be treated in copper and will be QT'd for at least a month.

i say hyposalinity. i'm sure you have a refractometer. a lot easier this way and no worries on amount of copper etc. first week drop to .002sg per day until reach desired level of 1.009sg you keep this rate for 4 weeks at the end of the fourth week you begin raising your sg back to your norm ~1.025sg

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
We usually buy our fish from trop, which keeps the date of when the fish arrive. We will pay for the fish and leave it there for a week or so and see how it is looking then. If they fish has been there for a month or so, then I know we do not need to quarantine. We also have cleaner shrimp in two tanks and feed garlic daily to keep the immune systems up.

I agree with you Rbu1 QT is the only way to go. I believe there are some pretty viable ways, copper, hyposalinity, cloriquine, and perhaps herbal. I believe in the whole garlic rid ick(the herbal one) but more in the keeping your fish healthy then treating them sort of way.

We usually buy our fish from trop, which keeps the date of when the fish arrive. We will pay for the fish and leave it there for a week or so and see how it is looking then. If they fish has been there for a month or so, then I know we do not need to quarantine.

Be careful as most of the fish stores run their tanks in groups so while you might have a healthy fish in tank A the next tank B gets a sick fish and week later your healthy fish gets sick.

The bigger the tank the harder it is to solve your problems...300 gallon tank that qualifies as seriously difficult.