• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Need some advice - moving a little north

I figured some of you guys/gals would be the bast place for me to ask

I am making a career change and we are going to look into moving closer to work in South Plainfield

anyone have any advice on some good areas to check out? 

we've checked out rent.com and whatnot but we just don't really know the area all that well

looking for 2 bedroom to rent and a good education system

also some good safe parks & daycare would be helpful as well

thanks

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You're moving to my area! My brother in-law is a realtor in South Plainfield as well... He could probably give you all the information that you want.

Let me know if you want his number or e-mail address....I'm not sure if he does rentals...but i'm sure he could answer some questions for you.

Not that I am prejudice in any way, but depending on your budget you might want to consider other locations like West Westfield, Scotch Plains, Clark, GreenBrook, Springfield, Watchung. South Plainfield has some really nice areas, but a little too close to North Plainfield. Keep in mind that these areas are pretty expensive. I would think in the area of about 1500+ a month for a two bedroom. If you are getting it cheaper I would have to wonder why. I am in no way saying that South Plainfield is bad, not at all. It just depends on where you live in that area.

thanks guys, exactly why I posted this here

ReefDrumz you could shoot me his email address I'd appreciate that, and I'll be looking for some help setting up new tank when we get settled in   ;)

mynd thanks for your input, we found a place right in So Plainfield that seemed nice (The Highlands at South Plainfield)   but we're just not sure about the surrounding areas

anyways, I'll look into the towns you suggested

thanks guys

momof6kids

NJRC Member
Has North Plainfield really gone down that much? We moved out 6 years ago, but lived there for 17 years. It used to be don't move too close to Plainfield. Though, the education system there is the reason we started homeschooling. It was horrible.

Don't move into Watchung unless you are ready to keep up with the Jones. I have a friend who lived there and her 10 year old was picked up by limos to go to birthday parties. The parties her kids went to were amazing. They would go into the city for dinner and a Broadway show.

You could look into Bridgewater also, depending on where in South Plainfield you are working and how far you are willing to drive to commute. I have been told the education system here is good. And I know they have some great parks.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It's Plainfield (proper) that is not that great of an area...But that also depends on the section. There is an area of Plainfield (Sleepy Hollow) that has quite a few million + dollar homes. Same with North Plainfield...it has it's areas but generally it's a nice town. South Plainfield borders Plainfield, not North Plainfield. I'm probably 5 miles from Plainfield/North Plainfield. If you move to the Highlands, you are going to be @ the very end of South Plainfield, closer to Piscataway.

JerseyDiablo...You have a PM.

Ah, I love that people combine Plainfield with South Plainfield. The two towns are like night and day. And don't forget the million dollar + section of Plainfield. Mcgrevy and his boyfriend just bought a house there for a few million. Not exactly somewhere you want to send your kids to public school.

South Plainfield, on the other hand is very nice. The only problem is that there aren't a lot of rentals, small town, mostly houses. You might try getting a copy of the Observer (SP's local paper) to see if any are listed. There's a few blocks of 2 family homes that I would think are mostly rentals. There's also the Highlands on Hamilton Blvd that's an aparment complex (I think that's the only one in town). You might want to also consider Edison. They have great schools and finding a rental in Edison wouldn't be an issue. There are usually a lot of townhouses for rent off of Talmage Road in Edison (might be worth it to drive through there on a Saturday when people have signs out) or pick up the Sentenial (local paper) for listings.

Good luck and welcome to town !

And North Plainfield hasn't gone down hill. They just had their taxes reassessed and people are moving out of there like crazy.

FYI- these towns, North Plainfield, South Plainfield and Plainfield only have their names in common. Otherwise they are each so different from one another. As a matter of fact, they are all in different counties. North Plainfield is in Somerset County, South Plainfield is in Middlesex County and Plainfield is in Union County. Hense the huge difference in the residents. The welfare structure is easy to obtain in Plainfield, moderately difficult in South Plainfield and most difficult to obtain in North Plainfield.
For the information on the quality of education in NJ public schools, go to the NJ School Report Card page on the internet. http://education.state.nj.us/rc/ There is a law stating that the facts about our schools must be avail to the public. This is the exact reason I live in the Boone Docks. ;D