• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

nem removal

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Guys, is any easy way remove a nem from a rock? I'm shutting down a tank and I want to relocate him into the tank. Going from 3 tanks to 1 now

I've tried to "tickle" his foot but he doesn't seem to wanna let go. Should i try a blower directly on him?

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I personally never had to move one. Mine moved after I moved my rocks around (trying to catch a fish). I heard of people using a turkey baster and blowing at their feet to try and make them move but again never done it personally

It's a pain in the neck. My nems move when either the light isn't what they like or the flow isn't right. Good luck!

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I've tried the turkey baster and it doesn't work.
I've tried the power head, but the nem just moves, it doesn't release from the rock.
I've heard that the ice cube (in a plastic bag so it doesn't stick to the anem's flesh) on the base works well.
Be sure to turn off your powerheads, would suck if he released and got blended.

Also, maybe you can call ACC. At one point when bought a nem from them, John told me not to worry about getting it to release. He had it bagged 2 minutes later. Probably some good advice available there.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
I've tried the turkey baster and it doesn't work.
I've tried the power head, but the nem just moves, it doesn't release from the rock.
I've heard that the ice cube (in a plastic bag so it doesn't stick to the anem's flesh) on the base works well.
Be sure to turn off your powerheads, would suck if he released and got blended.

Also, maybe you can call ACC. At one point when bought a nem from them, John told me not to worry about getting it to release. He had it bagged 2 minutes later. Probably some good advice available there.
Thanx guys, I'll try the ice cube trick, if not I'll just add the whole rock

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
If the foot is exposed use you finger nail to pry it off carefully. I have done it a few times.
That's what I have done before, he's twisted like a snake in a rock so I don't have total access to his foot

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
any chance you can pull the rock and chip the spot he's on and just glue it down in the new tank?