• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New 200 and 15 gallon Marineland tanks.

I was in Trop last weekend getting my water and I watched them unpack the new 200 gallon tank.
It is 4FT wide by 3FT deep, the stand is very nice with doors on the ends that lift out so you can access under the stand from the ends like the Tech tanks. There is also a 3x3 FT cube that is 150 gallons. I have looked for them on the web but have not seen anything yet. The setup is not exactly cheep but is not into the Elos price range, and the per gallon cost is similar or better then the Tech series.

So has anyone else seen this tank?
Any opinions on which tank would be better? Both have saphire glass in the front by the way.
Would you have to have two lighting units to cover the depth of the tank or like a massive 12 T5 ficture like this work?
http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/product_info.php?cPath=71_156&products_id=1564

By the way does anyone have one of the above lights? It looks pretty cool to me.

I don't have that unit, but I do have one of their MH + PC retro kits. Happy with it except for the ballasts they use. I swapped them out with Icecaps. The PC ballasts were cheap and flimsy. Actually they were falling apart.

I know some guys have their standard T5 lights and are pretty happy with it but this one with the controls built in is pretty interesting.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
How tall is the tank? I heard they were 29? You could use something like a lumenarc to cover it. That's what BillyR98 did with his tank. I think they throw a 3x3 square of light rather than the standard 2' throw of MH. If you weren't doing retro then you might need 2 fixtures.

That 12 T5 fixture seems to be 19" wide. You'd still need 2.

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
I have the 8x54 T-5 system from them and love it,each bulb has it's own reflector and even though mine is only 9" wide it fully covers my 120 (48x24x24) perfectly using the 2" riser legs the light came with.
If you buy through thery're distibutor on ebay alot cheaper mine was $299.00 with bulbs
5 YEAR guarentee on ballasts and fans,can't beat that.

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Craz, which store do you mention has the tank? I'd like to see the 200 gal. Do they still have it or was it for a customer?

Has anybody else seen thse around anywhere else?

Taz

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Cool, I was going there today to buy some salt and ask about the tank. If it is there I might have to claim it while I'm there.

Thanks
Taz

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Trop also has the new 200 gallon Starphire tank on display.

I saw the 300 gallon version at IMAC recently and that thing is a beast. I spent a small fortune on raffle tickets for it but still didn't win.

It is a really great shape ... sorry I didn't get the hight on it but I would guess that it was around 29 inches. I am not sure if it would block the front door to my house, or just make you go around it as you come in ;). The 150 would be nice too as 3x3 would enable the use of shorter lights.

I am really torn between the two tanks. I have been officially bitten by the upgrade bug.

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Just got back from the hidden reef. They do still have the 150 there. It is nice and what I thought was a good price too. Being that I currently have a 120 which is 4 ft long I have to go with the 200.

Taz

That tank is sweet looking, I saw it on this past weds. And was trying to figure out how to buy with out my wife wanting to kill me ;D

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yes they do look sweet.

Jr, I do not remember the exact price, I looked at so many prices had a lot going on, but I believe it was right around $1500 for the tank, canopy and stand. I'm sure somebody will be there this weekend and can post the exact price for you.

Taz

Thanks much..I am waiting till after summer vacation so I don't have to worry about someone taking care of a new tank. But in time for frag swap goodies ;D.

Tazmaniancowboy said:
Craz, which store do you mention has the tank? I'd like to see the 200 gal. Do they still have it or was it for a customer?

Has anybody else seen thse around anywhere else?

Taz

pet place in wayne on rt 23 still has it

It was Alex, my hubby, who saw the tank at Trop and brought it to my attention, as he thought it was the nicest thing he's ever seen. Well, I'll be getting one of those beauties before summer's over from TFJ Pet Center for a great price. ;D

---
Wendy

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Wendy, I was going to buy from TFJ about 2 months ago. They were the best price at the time, but 2 weeks after I got the quote when I contacted them to order, they claimed that the price increased . In the same time frame and still to this date. The Hidden Reef has quoted me only $100 dollars higher than TFJ's "introductory" price and told me there were no price increases nor did they see one coming anytime soon. I finally picked up my 200 gallon last week.

I am not by any means badmouthing TFJ, I wanted to support them as they are a small Family business and a sponsor, but I did want to point out that I was upset that the price supposedly changed within 2 weeks of quote and I was able to buy a lot more stuff with the savings by purchasing from the reef.

Please as with anything else, check before you buy.

Taz