• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New cadlight 125 Aqurium, need light hanging advice

john90009

NJRC Member
i just got a new cadlight aqurium 125 gallon artisian aquarium from RAP and i was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how i can do my lighting. I have lumberbright large pendants, a t5 fixture and hydras. But my problem is, it will be in an apartment so im unsure if im allowed to drill into the cealing looking for beams to hang lights. The lumberbrights are 17 lbs i think, iv seen hanging rails that are bent at a 90 degree angle and then screwed into the stand itself and the lights hang from them. Anyone have any ideas? Its eurobraced rimless and thats my first one so idk how much weight the tank can bear itself.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Some companies make "light trees" but the can be hard to find, some use conduit that is bent to extend over the tank and is attached to back of the stand, I had a welder friend of mine make me a set of light hangers that attach to the back of the stand. There are a bunch of ways to go about it, it will just depend on what you like. My suggesting would be to take a look through a few tank threads on here and see what you like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

john90009

NJRC Member
i was thinking my only way would be to go with the conduit, its just im in an apartment so im trying to avoid putting anything at all into the Sheetrock or the walls or ceilings. Do you think the stand would be strong enough to hold by screwing in, i think they said it wasnt cheap pressboard.

horseplay

NJRC Member
Stand should be strong enough. Use nuts and bolts and drill holes instead of wood screws.

Looked it up. Beautiful tank and nice dimensions.

use this
http://www.homedepot.com/s/channel+strut?NCNI-5
bolted to the stand to spread the weight out so there are no worries about the press board. Then just mount the conduit to that with the proper clips and your good to go. I would recommend bending the conduit or welding it rather then using fittings to make your turns though. The fittings are major weak spots.