• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New clam

I just picked this up at Petco. It’s probably just shy of 3”. It’s been in the tank for a couple hours. How does it look? I never had one, and I don’t really know what to expect.C1281C8F-4A0F-4480-A746-AB812902E3B7.jpeg9D193D1C-47E1-4703-B716-5EE3FE397EB3.jpeg

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Glad to read it looks good today. I never had one so no help here. I believe there are a few who bought clams at one of the monthly meetings that was held in north jersey. Hopefully someone will chime in

What do you plan on feeding it? Or strictly lights? Interested in getting a clam too.
I have a bio pellet reactor, that should be discharging some bacteria, it can filter feed on. I also was purchased a larger than 2” (almos 3”) clam, which are supposed to be less dependent on filter feeding and more dependent on light.

Glad to read it looks good today. I never had one so no help here. I believe there are a few who bought clams at one of the monthly meetings that was held in north jersey. Hopefully someone will chime in
Yea. I was at that meeting. They were very nice, but an the small side.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Do the shadow test on the clam. With the lights on, wave your hand over the light to cause a shadow over the clam. If hes in good health, he should react by shutting right away.....or atleast partly closing.

Try target feeding him with some reef chili or something to see if he takes it.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
If can also do the "dome feeder" method to keep others like shrimp out when feeding.

It occasionally reacts to that, but not most of the time. It reacts quickly to the cleaner shrimp, and when fish swim right over it. It reflexes seem to be good, but it not that reactive to shadows.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, still a good sign. Definitely feed it a lil though. You can try broadcast feeding the tank so the corals can get some too.

eholceker

NJRC Member
No reason to feed it and it looks good.
Yea. It seems to enjoy my omnivores frozen cubes. I also see it pooping from it’s exhale hole occasionally, so it must be getting something to eat.

The pooping is actually releasing its zooxanthelle which is common for new clams to do. No need to feed it as it just needs bright lights. It should get all its nutrients from feeding your fish. Hope you have a big tank as I had one for 12 years and it grew 19 inches long and weighed close to 30 to 40 pounds. It could shoot water 3 feet out of the tank. It was the center peice of my reefer 750.

Attachments

• 20171228_163703.jpg
    20171228_163703.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 26

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member

The pooping is actually releasing its zooxanthelle which is common for new clams to do. No need to feed it as it just needs bright lights. It should get all its nutrients from feeding your fish. Hope you have a big tank as I had one for 12 years and it grew 19 inches long and weighed close to 30 to 40 pounds. It could shoot water 3 feet out of the tank. It was the center peice of my reefer 750.

Nice clam! Last time I saw one that big was at my favorite place...Tropiquarium

I might not be able to keep it forever in my tank. It has enough room to grow to about 10 to 12 inches in the spot it’s in. If I make it that far, hopefully I’ll have a bigger tank by then.

So far I haven’t seen it releasing anymore zooxanthelle anymore, since I mentioned it.