• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New clam

Are these bad guys? I have had them around the tank after dark, but I’m noticing them on my clam. They don’t seem to resemble the dreaded pyramid snail.D313A47A-3F72-4B41-8C6D-6D44E2EA124D.jpeg

As far as feeding the clam, some say it is necessary, and some say it’s not. I don’t target feed it, but when I broadcast feed, with a frozen omnivore blend, this thing really seam to react, and move some water through itself. I personally think it benefits from feeding.

eholceker

NJRC Member
As far as feeding the clam, some say it is necessary, and some say it’s not. I don’t target feed it, but when I broadcast feed, with a frozen omnivore blend, this thing really seam to react, and move some water through itself. I personally think it benefits from feeding.

How do you know its moving water through itself? A healthy clam is actually filtering water constantly. The amount you are feeding it literally has no impact on its health. Best way to feed a clam is to increase overall nutrients in your aquarium.

I can see a definite increase in activity, particularly its exhale tube extending and retracting in a pulsating fashion. The feeding seems to be stimulating this. I have observed it repeatedly.

eholceker

NJRC Member
I can see a definite increase in activity, particularly its exhale tube extending and retracting in a pulsating fashion. The feeding seems to be stimulating this. I have observed it repeatedly.

Usually when they do that they are clearing what's in their gills not necessarily a feeding behavior. Once your Derass matures you will see that same behavior right before it spawns.

Usually when they do that they are clearing what's in their gills not necessarily a feeding behavior. Once your Derass matures you will see that same behavior right before it spawns.
Good info. The clam has been a bit more active in general lately, and I had no idea there could be spawning activity in the aquarium. very cool.

Those little guys are the babies of snails that spawned in your tank. They are completely fine, and a sign that you have a healthy reef!

Nice clam! Last time I saw one that big was at my favorite place...Tropiquarium
No reason to feed it and it looks good.

The pooping is actually releasing its zooxanthelle which is common for new clams to do. No need to feed it as it just needs bright lights. It should get all its nutrients from feeding your fish. Hope you have a big tank as I had one for 12 years and it grew 19 inches long and weighed close to 30 to 40 pounds. It could shoot water 3 feet out of the tank. It was the center peice of my reefer 750.
You sin kidding l. Holy cow, this thing is growing fast!B77EED59-8EF2-4A29-B5F9-288B026A5CC2.jpeg