• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New Hippo Tang hiding?

I finally got to put my hippo tang into my display tank today after his QT period......I have not seen hide nor hair of him since he hit the display tank....I do have a nice piece of nori haging on a clip for him...how long can I expect him to hide for?....

mine hid out whenever I came into the room for about 3 days. Once he got use to the fact that I AM THE FOOD SOURCE! He's stopped.

He does still hide out if my hand is in the tank though, I try to not do that too often, so I hope it doesn't feel accustomed to it!

I still have yet to see him swimming at all...he is just kinda chillin' in one spot wedged into the rocks...I dont think he is going to make it....

I have a pair that I have had for a long time and they are STILL very scared. They are the first to hide at the sign of anything.

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
I wish my hippos were shy before I removed them from the reef tank.
They hung out and munched my PPE's and my bonsai without a care in the world.. :mad:

Hippos usually have a tendency to hide when first introduced. Mine was like that for a week and then it became normal.
They also lie on their side quite often. Hope he makes it. How big is the tank?

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I've had my hippo for a year and a half and it still hides when I go near the tank.

Bob

my hippo hid for a month, now he comes right to the glass whenever he sees me or if i open the hood he pops his head out of the water

I just spent 20 min trying to find mine he is wedged in a spot I never would have thought he could get in. He has only been in the tank a few hours and doing the same hiding act most do. From what i gather this is pretty normal and after a week or so they get more courageous....I hope!

It's incredible, for a large fish you can find them hidden in the smallest places. Mine curls up under a rock when startled. It freaked me out the first time he did it. I thought I lost him :)