• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New Jersey -> Florida ideas

I've been highly considering moving from NJ to Florida.
Wanted to check on here if any of you reefers know what are some good places for a 25 y.o to move alone.??

(Job outlook, rent, quality of life, etc.)

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Anywhere lol- I'd love to move myself. Do you dive? the reef restoration companies are always looking for people

SeahorseKeeper

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I know the Fort Lauderdale area has a good job outlook. The rent depends on the area. I would just visit in the summer and winter to see if the area has what you want.

I thought I was going to move to Florida but I landed a transfer to Nags Head, NC. So far, I’m loving it. The area is perfect for me right now.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I hate to be a parent but…
Usually people will get a job before moving to another
State. Then they will move to live close to their new job.
moving without having a new job in a new state is never a good idea.

now if you are going to “work from home”
Then you should look for a place that fits your budget and life style.

Yeah..unfortunately, that is our experience talking. Think back to the days when you were young and invincible. When you drank from a hose, licked a frozen flag pole, asked the prettiest girl out..got shot down and then asked the second prettiest girl out until someone said yes. The adventure of not know where you are going to land or how you will make it is an experience that we would all look back on fondly if we only had the balls to do it when we were young and unecumbered.

With all of that being said, i was too big of a wimp to do that so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Jacksonville, Fort Lauderdale and Miami are the places to be for jobs and things to do.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Yeah..unfortunately, that is our experience talking. Think back to the days when you were young and invincible. When you drank from a hose, licked a frozen flag pole, asked the prettiest girl out..got shot down and then asked the second prettiest girl out until someone said yes. The adventure of not know where you are going to land or how you will make it is an experience that we would all look back on fondly if we only had the balls to do it when we were young and unecumbered.

With all of that being said, i was too big of a wimp to do that so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Jacksonville, Fort Lauderdale and Miami are the places to be for jobs and things to do.
St. Augustine also.

I understand that. Of course I'd move with a job on hand there first.

I know Florida very well. Lived in Fort Myers, Naples, Marco Island, Orlando. Brother in Tampa. I’m in Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, Sarasota for work constantly. Vacation is Smyrna and St Augustine. The only place I don’t know well is the north (Southern Georgia) and the panhandle, and I pretty much know those as well. Can give you advise on what it’s like to live there in detail - cannot advise whatsoever on jobs.
If you have target cities or want advise on culture, traffic, lifestyle, etc, hit me up.

Salted

NJRC Member
My son son just got back from a week vacation in Fort Myers. He loved it and thought there was a lot going on. Told us he wants to move there.

My son son just got back from a week vacation in Fort Myers. He loved it and thought there was a lot going on. Told us he wants to move there.
I feel like in NJ there's not a whole lot going on. At least not that I've seen. So that's why I'm highly considering moving. Need a change of pace as well

DYIguy

NJRC Member
For someone my age, NJ is tough- high taxes, WINTER and all that goes with it, so I would love to sell and move south where the weather is warm 12 months of the year, but for someone who is 1/3 my age and single, Fl would not be my first, second or 10th choice, a college town, a town with music, nightlife, great food and dining- Austin Tx, Nashville, New Orleans are a few that come to mind

For someone my age, NJ is tough- high taxes, WINTER and all that goes with it, so I would love to sell and move south where the weather is warm 12 months of the year, but for someone who is 1/3 my age and single, Fl would not be my first, second or 10th choice, a college town, a town with music, nightlife, great food and dining- Austin Tx, Nashville, New Orleans are a few that come to mind
I never really considered that. I'm definitely gonna look into that

Salted

NJRC Member
Austin Tx, Nashville, New Orleans are a few that come to mind
Sorry but all areas that have turned into third world sh*tholes. I know very wealthy people from Austin, they won't leave the house unarmed. Austin has inherited a lot of Californians and their liberal views and the homeless population has skyrocketed. Nashville is a dangerous city, tourists go there because it's a tourist trap. Yes, cool night life, good food, but dangerous none the less. New Orleans has made up to the top 10 most dangerous cities in the world. Not in the state of La., not in the US, the world. Current ranking is 41st; World's most dangerous cities, by murder rate 2020 | Statista . @Foxchase do yourself a favor and peruse this site; Most Dangerous Cities In The United States For 2021. Beyond that look at crime statistics for where ever you're thinking of going. Don't mean to pee in your cheerios @DYIguy or Foxchase, I'd like to visit those places, but they're not safe and I'd never live in any of them.

Last edited:

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Sorry but all areas that have turned into third world sh*tholes. I know very wealthy people from Austin, they won't leave the house unarmed. Austin has inherited a lot of Californians and their liberal views and the homeless population has skyrocketed. Nashville is a dangerous city, tourists go there because it's a tourist trap. Yes, cool night life, good food, but dangerous none the less. New Orleans has made up to the top 10 most dangerous cities in the world. Not in the state of La., not in the US, the world. Current ranking is 41st; World's most dangerous cities, by murder rate 2020 | Statista . @Foxchase do yourself a favor and peruse this site; Most Dangerous Cities In The United States For 2021. Beyond that look at crime statistics for where ever you're thinking of going. Don't mean to pee in your cheerios @DYIguy or Foxchase, I'd like to visit those places, but they're not safe and I'd never live in any of them.
Tell that to my daughter, she has liven in NoLA for 20 years, visits Austin regularly. Can't comment on Nashville, just read that it's the place to be for music/ musicians. BTW, I've been to NoLa several times- love it! Never felt threatened. Your points can be made about just about any city

Salted

NJRC Member
Tell that to my daughter, she has liven in NoLA for 20 years, visits Austin regularly. Can't comment on Nashville, just read that it's the place to be for music/ musicians. BTW, I've been to NoLa several times- love it! Never felt threatened. Your points can be made about just about any city
I'd bet your daughter has learned to be very aware of her surroundings, and might not be telling you the whole truth about her safety anymore than my son tells my wife and I. I'd love to go to NoLa, not saying you can't go and enjoy yourself, but I'd stay in tourist areas and be very aware. The numbers in the links above are real, murder and violent crime rates are high there. Heavy police presence in areas that depend on tourist dollars give tourists a false sense of the areas safety. My wife and son love going to the Prudential Center for Devils games and other events. I go occasionally. You know why I'm ok with them going without me? Because they park in the Pru lot and there's dozens and dozens of police and police cars around the venue and surrounding blocks. Hmmm, I wonder why that is? You ever see anything like that anywhere here in affluent Morris cnty where we live?

eholceker

NJRC Member
I'd bet your daughter has learned to be very aware of her surroundings, and might not be telling you the whole truth about her safety anymore than my son tells my wife and I. I'd love to go to NoLa, not saying you can't go and enjoy yourself, but I'd stay in tourist areas and be very aware. The numbers in the links above are real, murder and violent crime rates are high there. Heavy police presence in areas that depend on tourist dollars give tourists a false sense of the areas safety. My wife and son love going to the Prudential Center for Devils games and other events. I go occasionally. You know why I'm ok with them going without me? Because they park in the Pru lot and there's dozens and dozens of police and police cars around the venue and surrounding blocks. Hmmm, I wonder why that is? You ever see anything like that anywhere here in affluent Morris cnty where we live?

Actually that little section of Newark is not bad. Spent many years working in the Iron bound district.