• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New Jersey -> Florida ideas

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
I'm in Florida now (in Jacksonville) and its a little different down here. The biggest thing is the pay rate as they're alot lower down here compared up to the tri state area.

But overall not bad so far

eholceker

NJRC Member
I'm in Florida now (in Jacksonville) and its a little different down here. The biggest thing is the pay rate as they're alot lower down here compared up to the tri state area.

But overall not bad so far

My recruiters told me the difference was 5k per 50K which would definitely be offset by the ridiculousness of the cost living in NJ. On a side note they also did tell me that companies were real cognizant of hiring someone from NJ/NY to relocate as they do not want people with east coast tax everything mindset polluting their towns. Thought it was interesting.

Salted

NJRC Member
Actually that little section of Newark is not bad. Spent many years working in the Iron bound district.
That's where my wife grew up. Lafayette St. Just finally got her dad out of there recently and moved him to Barnegat (we'll likely follow next spring). That area has gotten worse. Muggings have gone up and there were a couple recent shootings there. He wouldn't leave the house. He loves the change and the move has been a big relief to my wife and her siblings.

eholceker

NJRC Member
That's where my wife grew up. Lafayette St. Just finally got her dad out of there recently and moved him to Barnegat (we'll likely follow next spring). That area has gotten worse. Muggings have gone up and there were a couple recent shootings there. He wouldn't leave the house. He loves the change and the move has been a big relief to my wife and her siblings.
Interesting. I have literally worked off of Raymond Blvd since 2006 and never have seen anything wrong. A lot of top notch resteraunts, etc.

Salted

NJRC Member
Interesting. I have literally worked off of Raymond Blvd since 2006 and never have seen anything wrong. A lot of top notch resteraunts, etc.
Seabras is great. So is Iberia and Fornos. And I love Elm St bbq. I'd bring takeout home from there most times we went down. Picadinho and a garlic shrimp. Go grab some food there, it's just a couple blocks from 21.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
People that live in NJ already know the taxes are high.
They also know what they get for those taxes.
The price of homes are high because people see value in it.
If you have a family and you have kids going to school.
Nj ranks 1 in education. I pay a lot of taxes and I am fine with that.
I also want all the services that comes with that.

Florida has low Taxes but there are no roads no services.
Schools are ranked 27 so that’s bad.
like the governor of nj said if taxes are your one issue then NJ
Is not the state for you.

eholceker

NJRC Member

remember not all schools are created equal. My kids district is one of the worst in Monmouth County. My town also has one of the highest municipal tax rates in Monmouth county. The school district in Boca btw is one of the best in the country. Honestly the only reason I am still here is because I do t want to move my fish tanks, haha.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
remember not all schools are created equal. My kids district is one of the worst in Monmouth County. My town also has one of the highest municipal tax rates in Monmouth county. The school district in Boca btw is one of the best in the country. Honestly the only reason I am still here is because I do t want to move my fish tanks, haha.
You are good with numbers so you understand being the number 1 school in a state that’s ranked 27 is not the same as a number 1 school in New Jersey. School ranking are public and very easy to google. So you can move if your not happy with the schools district.
Florida is not a good state if you are young. Florida is where you go when you are on your old.
Florida is “gods waiting room” lol

eholceker

NJRC Member
You are good with numbers so you understand being the number 1 school in a state that’s ranked 27 is not the same as a number 1 school in New Jersey. School ranking are public and very easy to google. So you can move if your not happy with the schools district.
Florida is not a good state if you are young. Florida is where you go when you are on your old.
Florida is “gods waiting room” lol
Maybe back in the day. If you are young NJ is unaffordable. They only reason for a young individual to stay here used to be for work in NYC. Now that NYC will never be the same from a business stand point there is nonprofit to stay here. I am stuck here for now but if I had an open book to start Jersey would rank in the bottom 5 states probablly sandwiched in between Washington and New Mexico. Obviously New York and California would be the bottom 2.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Maybe back in the day. If you are young NJ is unaffordable. They only reason for a young individual to stay here used to be for work in NYC. Now that NYC will never be the same from a business stand point there is nonprofit to stay here. I am stuck here for now but if I had an open book to start Jersey would rank in the bottom 5 states probablly sandwiched in between Washington and New Mexico. Obviously New York and California would be the bottom 2.
NYC will be back. Just like after 9/11 everyone thought the city would die and it didn’t. People love NYC. People from all over the world dream about com in bag to NYC.

eholceker

NJRC Member
NYC will be back. Just like after 9/11 everyone thought the city would die and it didn’t. People love NYC. People from all over the world dream about com in bag to NYC.
I guess you need to define what's back. People going back to an office full time is never going to happen. NYC is never going to be able to recoup all of that lost revenue.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I guess you need to define what's back. People going back to an office full time is never going to happen. NYC is never going to be able to recoup all of that lost revenue.
Yes they will, the best of the best work and live in NYC and people that live in the city will always go back. NYC is filled with people and companies from around the world. You don’t want to be the person zooming into a meeting when everyone else is In the office.

eholceker

NJRC Member
Yes they will, the best of the best work and live in NYC and people that live in the city will always go back. NYC is filled with people and companies from around the world. You don’t want to be the person zooming into a meeting when everyone else is In the office.
I don’t think so. I think companies have learned and are Invested in remote work. Profit margins are more important. Some jobs will always have to be in office but it’s never going to be like it was. Work in an office setting is an old school way of thinking. Even mayor Adams admitted the city will never be the same. They are changing focus from business to residential. the problem is who wants to pay 6k a month in rent to have your toilet next to your refrigerator in a 100sqft apartment. My wife actually asked me the other day as to what salary it would take me to have work in the city again. Told her I wouldn’t even consider it.

I have no kids and have no desire to have any so education isn't important to me. Living in NJ at my age is super expensive. And that's only rent. Forget about ever being able to afford a house here. Basically impossible to do anything and I feel like I'm just wasting time here.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I have no kids and have no desire to have any so education isn't important to me. Living in NJ at my age is super expensive. And that's only rent. Forget about ever being able to afford a house here. Basically impossible to do anything and I feel like I'm just wasting time here.
I wish you luck and I hope you find what your looking for.
this is a big country and I sure you will find somewhere that makes you happy.
This is the time to do it when you are young once your old it’s hard to move.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
I hear you, get out while you can. This state has a lot to offer, but it isn't paradise. Like I said before, think 'young'- a place that has a lot of people your age, with good music, entertainment, culture, nightlife and where you can make a decent living. Depending on your talent and skill will help steer you- maybe put your resume online, like linkdin/ iindeed or similar- or look into a new career- my son lived with us for 6 months while he trained/ learned and did an apprenticeship in web design- turned it into a good job/ career

And one thing to consider while looking is whether there is a local reef club- a real necessity for me LOL:cool::)

Last edited:

horseplay

NJRC Member
If you're young go to wherever offer you the best job and money. Making $$ is your priority, not where to live. Get into a profession that pays the best. Once you got money, the rest is easy.