• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

new RO

just got a homedepot RO unit, and just finaly after 4 hours finished setting it up. i want to know the TDS of my water so does anyone know of a lfs in northern nj preferably close nyc that can test the TDS of my water?

and this might not be the smartest question but do i have to use tap water conditioner still ? ???

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I don't know much about the stores up north, so I couldn't help you there. But you don't have to use Tap Water Conditioner any longer, the RO will take care of the chlorine/chlorimines.

Did you add a DI unit to it? If not, I would seriously look into it. It would be fairly easy to add one to your existing unit.

Depending on your Northness. Absolutly fish in clifton will test your water if you take it in during the week. In NY I think New World Aquarium will test too

Clifton is perfect. is it one of those water test deals like they have at The Fish Tank in saddle brook (i believe) where they charge like 40 beans to test your water? because thats no dice

do i have to use tap water conditioner still ?

is this one of the big units hooked up to ur house?
if so i would leave it on it will only help the RO unit.
u might want to get a DI filter for that unit that will
drop ur TDS to zero with out the DI ur TDS is going to be a bit high

I'm not sure if there is a cost I've never done it, but they almost always seem to be testing somebody's water while i'm there. Give them a call. I don't have a number, but you can look them up online. A warning though if you go there, you have to get someone's attention or they will totally let you roam around on your own forever.

DI will remove and addition 69ppm from your RO. So don't skimp. :) If you want to keep your membranes happier you might even consider a pre-filter like a kold ster-il that is good for about 6000Gallons and run that into your rodi near your tank. Should keep your membranes about 3 times as long and waste about 2 to 1 vs 4 or 5 to 1.

There is a post on here that shows the tds readings of where people live. I was trying to get everyone to do it so that people can pretty much assume what it is where they live based on others posting. Unfortunately only a few people have done it.

http://www.njreefers.org/forums/index.php/topic,2784.0.html

TDS meters are cheap and worth having around. I have one and got mine from THE FILTER GUYS

$24.00 - HM-3 DIGITAL TDS TESTER W/CASE
http://www.thefilterguys.biz/tds_meters.htm

Works great!

jerseyguy1996 said:
I just bought one of these although I have not received it yet. Will let you know how good of a job it does.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DM-1-Inline-Dua...0QQihZ018QQcategoryZ46310QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Okay I just got this today. Took about 5 minutes to hook it up. Seems to be working great. Shows 117 ppm TDS going in and 0 ppm TDS coming out. This ebay store mailed it out the day that I purchased it and it got to me about 3 days later. I bought from this seller because shipping was free. It looks like they still have about 5 left. Total cost was $26.95.