• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New Stand for 29gallonBioCube tied into 120gallon

panmanmatt said:
Looks great so far, Mike. Did you get a male/female pair or both the same sex?

I got a male female pair. I don't know how to tell the difference between the two. The one I photographed is bright yellow and a little skinner .. also more active. The other one has a darker yellow/beige look, hides alot and doesn't move around the tank as much.

I find them together once in a while but most of the time they're on opposite ends of the tank.

Very nice tank(s) ... what do you feed the gorgonians? Do you have any problems with algae accumulation on them, it is sort of driving me nuts?

I hope someday to be able to do what you have done super job.

JRWOHLER said:
Very nice tank(s) ... what do you feed the gorgonians? Do you have any problems with algae accumulation on them, it is sort of driving me nuts?

I hope someday to be able to do what you have done super job.

Thank you. Actually Gorgonians need a little higher flow for them so they don't get the algae growth. I was assured by Abby at Seahorsesouce.com that seahorses can stand alot more flow then the general hobbiest give them credit for. I have a Korallia 1, a Korallia Nano, olus the flow from my return which is spread into two outputs. So there are 4 flow sources in the tank and the horses and gorgonians seem fine. Also I don't directly feed the gorgonians but I do feed my tank DT's as per instruction on the bottle and I feed my reef tank Rod's Food which is amazing stuff. I haven't had them long so in future posts I will post progress. If I do notice them getting anytype of health issues I'll move them to my 120 and see how they do there.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yup they can handle a bit of flow as long as it is a dispersed flow such as spray bars, flare nozzles and other broad patterns.

Mike I would keep an eye on the Koralias. Those slots are small enough for a young seahorse to stick a tail into not to mention the open ends. As long as you keep them near the surface it shouldn't be a problem though.

Thanks Matt ... I will definitely keep an eye out.

Actually Matt, I'm glad you're online. I was gonna start another thread to ask you. I just picked up an ArrowCrab because I have a Bristle Worm in my 120 and it's either that or a trap. I also notice the other day 1 small one in my seahorse tank. Can the Arrowcrab go in my 29g for a couple of days/week and then take him out and put him in the 120? Will he harm the horses is my main concern/question.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have heard from others that their arrow crabs went after the seahorses. I personally have never kept them but wouldn't trust any crabs with my seahorses. I don't even keep hermits with them.

I have 1 scarlet and 1 blueleg but they are so small that i'm not worried right now ... this arrow crab however is a little bigger. I guess he'll just go in the 120 and see what happens. The worm in there is about 2" and I know where he live I just can't get him because he retreats into the rock as soon as i'm withing 10" of him with tweezers or tongs. Ohwell ... I'll sik the arrow crab on him and see if it works. The ones int the 29 I should be able to catch with tweezers.

Thanks again Matt.

The seahorse/Ricordea/helfrichi/zoa/tailspot Tank

IMG_6653.jpg

Notice the difference in coraline algae since the previous shots??

IMG_6678.jpg

IMG_6679.jpg

IMG_6680.jpg

my seahorses are bulletproof ... from seahorsesorce.com

IMG_6681.jpg

IMG_6654.jpg

IMG_6655.jpg

panmanmatt said:
Looks great, Mike. How often are you feeding them? They look a little thin.

I have to admit, not as often as I should be. I used to feed them twice a day but now it's more like everyother day. Taking these pics today got me rolling again. I'm going to get back on the ball.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Glad to hear you are getting back into it. I'm sure you will fatten them back up in no time.

mike, your cube looks friggin sick. i thought mine looked good, but after seeing yours i have new motivation and new ideas! i may have to try to crutch over to AO today and maybe pickup a small frag. excellent job on your tank! those horses are awesome, i bet those are real crowd pleasers!

Thanks Tex,

That's whats good about this forum. Picking up ideas from other tank pics and whatnot.

Let me know when you'll be around on a monday or tuesday. I'll get you a couple frags from my tank too.