• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New Tank - Day 4

Ok, so i've learned two things....

1) No matter how much you research, you still feel like you don't know what you're doing when you set up a new reef tank and

2) Don't add up your receipts -- you don't really wanna know how much you paid (and how far you still have to go)

Well it's been 4 days. No problems -- except that my dad gave me 2 clownfish for kids for easter. Maybe it won't be a problem, time will tell. I wanted to get more rock in the tank before I added fish. AND because of them, I bought a cleaner shrimp today. The food they don't eat falls to the bottom, where they won't follow.

I can see 3 TINY "things" on my living rock. Not sure what they are yet because they're so small. Some kind of tentacles on the end that pull into a tube -- could be anything, huh?

Well, glad to hear your doing well. but I would rather hear 4 weeks instead of 4 days to add anything. Hope it works out for you, but you have to slow down. Give your tank time to settle in. Your in for the long haul, please dont rush it.

It's hard to do.But slow is better!Two things in this hobbie take your time and take your money.As you will see with your live rock you keep finding new stuff comming out of your rock for months maybe yrs.

I agree with everyone thus far. Please resist the temptation to move quickly. My family and I actually had fun seeing what we could find living in the Live Rock while we were waiting for the tank to cycle.

Bob

PS
I agree with the 2 things you have learned thus far. :)

I agree with the not adding too quickly. My wallet agrees most of all ;)

I explained to my dad (in my extremely limited way) about how the chemical process needs to go. Not sure he understood but he DID understand that the $50 he spent on the clownfish might be for nothing more than garden fertlizer :-\

Thanks for the lack of flaming responses -- I've seen some fairly mean posts on other boards :eek:

if ya can get a picture of the unknown critters, we can ID them for you.

congrats on getting into this hobby, i can remember the first time i started SW, i bought a seabae anenome the first day i had the tank setup, what a mess that was, the main thing ya have to remember is take it slow, only bad things happen quickly.

yeah, i know, but evidentally the LFS owner didnt, what a waste and a mess!
that was 15 years ago, this hobby has come along way for somethings, but others not really.

welcome to the hobby im pretty new two but for me this is round 2 the first round i had with salt water i loose it to hair algae, and the rush of putting stuff, but this time im taking my time, o thats what i think, do im makind sense??? ??? ::)