• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

new tank issues with anemones

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
hey guys not sure whats going, so i started up my 75gallon tank about 5 months ago cycle went through probably twice cause i had algae problems then i ran into what i think was dinos very bubbly stringy algae on my rocks glass sand i kept filtering it out siphoning and adding microbacter7 and it finally died off but ive been losing all my anemones i had 8 now im down to 3 1 is doing " Okayish " the clowns are housing it and stressing it alittle too much so not sure itll make it long...

the others where all on the same rock i removed them spread them around the tank now they just disappearing and dying off
im having some heating issues jumping around 75-78 nights it gets too cold in my downstairs so the heater isnt holding it enough
my salinity is steady 1.025ish
ammonia 0
nitrate 0-10
nitrite 0
phosphates " api " lowest color so who really knows "
calcium 380ish
alk 8ish ive been dosing my PH cause its 7.8 to try and keep up but still issues waiting on kalk to start dosing alittle

have some hammers which are doing okayish
mushrooms all looking really good along with zaos which are doing semi ok
but green star polyp isnt fully opening i noticed
im running my lights pretty low due to the algae blooms i have them on a ramp up over 30 days so
anyone got any ideas? too much swings? not enough nutrients?

Hey there, I'm assuming the nems are btas? Nems like stability for sure. Some may say the tank is to new, but if real LR was used one can keep nems around this time. I'm going to say stability is your main issue, plus it's a newer tank. If your LPS and softies are not thriving, nems definitely will not. I'd focus on stability and maintaining the right chemistry. After 3+ months of solid stability and chemistry, the current nem if it makes it that long will come back and any news ones added will do great as well. Not sure if your still dosing the mb7, I pert don't like adding bacterias to my tanks. Bacteria in everyone's tank is constantly fighting a especially during the first year of a setup. Right now the bacterias are all fighting and the strongest will win, so adding a whole other type of bacteria kind of resets the fight imo.

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
Hey there, I'm assuming the nems are btas? Nems like stability for sure. Some may say the tank is to new, but if real LR was used one can keep nems around this time. I'm going to say stability is your main issue, plus it's a newer tank. If your LPS and softies are not thriving, nems definitely will not. I'd focus on stability and maintaining the right chemistry. After 3+ months of solid stability and chemistry, the current nem if it makes it that long will come back and any news ones added will do great as well. Not sure if your still dosing the mb7, I pert don't like adding bacterias to my tanks. Bacteria in everyone's tank is constantly fighting a especially during the first year of a setup. Right now the bacterias are all fighting and the strongest will win, so adding a whole other type of bacteria kind of resets the fight imo.
thanks a bunch man yah their rainbow bubble tips i figured the chemistry is definitely the issue here the tank is fairly new i didnt give it enough time to be ready for nems i figured it would okay after 3 months and bunch of testing but even the perimeters are decent the other stuff is backed up badly, hoping it pulls through and atleast 1-2 survive so they can start multiplying i did notice my water and stuff is clearing up really nicely so i believe the tank is starting to kick up slowly

ima keep doing good sized water changes and hope the nems come back to life

thanks a bunch man yah their rainbow bubble tips i figured the chemistry is definitely the issue here the tank is fairly new i didnt give it enough time to be ready for nems i figured it would okay after 3 months and bunch of testing but even the perimeters are decent the other stuff is backed up badly, hoping it pulls through and atleast 1-2 survive so they can start multiplying i did notice my water and stuff is clearing up really nicely so i believe the tank is starting to kick up slowly

ima keep doing good sized water changes and hope the nems come back to life
Just remember w/c are not always the fix. What does removing water do? Removes no3, pollutants, detritus if siphoning, and some inorganics. Replacing with new clean water will not help on the biological side, the little wars that we can't see. Sometimes these bacterias take to the water column as they start to multiply and conquer by then removing too much water you are then swinging around the scale of what naturally wants to happen in your tank resulting in the aftermath of stability. I'm not a fan of water changes when a tank is new and settling in unless algae or nutrients are major problem.

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
Just remember w/c are not always the fix. What does removing water do? Removes no3, pollutants, detritus if siphoning, and some inorganics. Replacing with new clean water will not help on the biological side, the little wars that we can't see. Sometimes these bacterias take to the water column as they start to multiply and conquer by then removing too much water you are then swinging around the scale of what naturally wants to happen in your tank resulting in the aftermath of stability. I'm not a fan of water changes when a tank is new and settling in unless algae or nutrients are major problem.
hmm valid point here dude, first things first ima test the water see where im at then see whats missing or whats moving up or down and try to stabilize the situation