• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New to the Forum and hobby

Just wanted to reach out and say hi to everyone ;D and share some photos of my tank (which is 3 months old). I'm a total newb at this hobby so bare with me ;D

tank1.jpg

tank2.jpg

tank3.jpg

tank4.jpg

tank5.jpg

tank6.jpg

tank7.jpg

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Looks great. Welcome to the hobby addiction and to the forum.

Welcome to NJRC!

What size tank and what kind of inhabitants? Looks like a maroon clown? also I see some cool feather worms...just be sure you feed them!

phil519 said:
Welcome to NJRC!

What size tank and what kind of inhabitants? Looks like a maroon clown? also I see some cool feather worms...just be sure you feed them!

it's a 30 gallon. the clown is a saddleback. I have a hairy mushroom, waiving hands which if you look in the third picture the original is at the bottom of the tank. It was a frag from my friend, which took off and i split up. I have some polyps (thank you shipdwreck ;D,)not sure which kind a finger leather (thank you shipdwreck ;D)some starburst polyps and a leather cabbage (thank you shipdwreck ;D)which fell off the rock and I cant find :( I'm not sure what the orange piece is next to the clown in the first photo if anyone knows can you fill me in ;D. oh i cant forget about the feather dusters i love them the very top one popped his head off a few weeks ago and grew it back.

Pretty, pretty setup, Mike! I like it a lot.

That orange thingy in the first picture (top left of photo), is it an SPS? If so, it could be a Pocillopora. :)

---
Wendy

JerseyWendy said:
Pretty, pretty setup, Mike! I like it a lot.

That orange thingy in the first picture (top left of photo), is it an SPS? If so, it could be a Pocillopora. :)

---
Wendy

yes it is an sps are they hard to keep?

hate to be the bearer of bad news - but if the duster popped it's top - it's basically starving. That top is a complicated fleshy method for them to capture food (phyto). If there's not enough food - it will get rid of the top (since it takes a lot to maintain) and grow another. It cannot do this indefinitely though. Try and dose some phyto in there!

Good luck!

"yes it is an sps are they hard to keep?"

They are relatively easy, just keep your parameters steady and you should be alright. Another major factor for the Pocillopora is the lighting, what type of lighting do you currently have?

majormaz said:

They are relatively easy, just keep your parameters steady and you should be alright. Another major factor for the Pocillopora is the lighting, what type of lighting do you currently have?

I have a 150watt MH and 1 PC Actinic

Hirobo said:
majormaz said:

I have a 150watt MH and 1 PC Actinic

Good for the SPS. More than enough, really, but it's a deep tank so I'm sure it helps quite a bit.

phil519 said:
hate to be the bearer of bad news - but if the duster popped it's top - it's basically starving. That top is a complicated fleshy method for them to capture food (phyto). If there's not enough food - it will get rid of the top (since it takes a lot to maintain) and grow another. It cannot do this indefinitely though. Try and dose some phyto in there!

Good luck!

:eek: :eek: i thought they would do that if they where stressed also? my other ones did not do that. could you point me in the right direction on what food to buy?

Thanks

hmmmm- I just picked up ReefInvertebrates by Fenner/Calfo and on page 170 they talk about feeding dusters and it's not very optimistic.

Lets just try something like DT's live phyto and see if that helps. There's also phytofeast or phytofeastlive that I know at least two or three other people on this board use.

Good luck!

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
But please bear in mind that TOOO much of a good thing... is just too much. If you add too much of any of those foods they will quickly foul your water and cause unwanted nutrient spikes. So use with caution. It is a delicate balance we seek to acheive. Good luck.

Phyl said:
But please bear in mind that TOOO much of a good thing... is just too much. If you add too much of any of those foods they will quickly foul your water and cause unwanted nutrient spikes. So use with caution. It is a delicate balance we seek to acheive. Good luck.

i will go easy

Welcome to the club and hobby! It's nice to see you started off keeping easy to maintain corals while you learn! I am going the same route for the most part. I took a couple years off the hobby and am now getting myself and my tank up to speed.

If you are able to make, come on by the meeting at my place in Boonton, NJ next Sunday!

boontonbob said:
Welcome to the club and hobby! It's nice to see you started off keeping easy to maintain corals while you learn! I am going the same route for the most part. I took a couple years off the hobby and am now getting myself and my tank up to speed.

If you are able to make, come on by the meeting at my place in Boonton, NJ next Sunday!

My friend has been doing this for a long time, and i listened to everything he has told me so far. it's great to have someone walk you through the does and dont's.