• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

NEWB w/ questions

Hope this is the right thread section.
I just have some questions (of course)
Is a fluval canister filter a good thing for prop tank?

I keep finding decent deals and there is a complete set up I may get that has this. This would be my first time with this though....

PLUS! I'm generally a newb.
My main goal for the tankn is to investigate colony growth. my gf wants it to have fish as well, so...I will have to multi-task my tank. Mostly I want to host coral and animals that can live peacefully with trumpet coral

One of the offers has PC lights w/moonlights, and (great, forgot to ask about wattage, but there are a few sets of them plus moon lights, act.) is that decent for propagation? I probably will not keep more than trumpets, zoos, and anything that says 'im easy/mod to keep and grow'

Also, the other offer is sans light. I do not want to pay a lot for the lights, this is really just an endeavor to make me happy (i.e. not paying for MH). Which is better t5 or PC?

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sorry I can't answer those questions, but I can say

4.gif
to NJRC!

Glad to see you posting. I'm sure someone else will be able to jump in with some help.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You're using the words "Prop Tank"? Are you primarily looking to setup a "frag/propagation tank", or are you planning a small (nano) sized display tank?

A small display tank could be complete with sufficient live rock alone as filtration, or you could add in the fluval. Some people use them to run carbon or phosphate type media. I've never used one though. I do know that if you use filter media in it you'll have to change that frequently to stop the trapped detritus from becoming a nitrate source for your tank.

I would prefer T5s to PC bulbs, personally. But 2-3wpg of PC lighting is enough for some laid back corals to thrive (candy cane, mushrooms, xenia, frogspawn, leathers, etc).

MH are desireable when you have SPS (small polyp stoney corals) in the tank as they require pristine water parameters and more intense lighting than the list I gave above.

Good luck and welcome to NJRC.

I have to say personally I have never been happy with any of the canister filters.
If your not going to run a sump. depending on size of tank perhaps an emperor 400 might do the trick but make sure your using ro water

I use a canister on my fish only system and it is easy and great once you get used to it. It does have some learing to it but it is ok.

Okay, great.
I'll skip on the offer with the fluval, unless I just get the lights (he has enough wpg) if the payout is in my favor (if his six set of PC's cost less than 1 set of T-5 from Dr Foster. His are 3 mos old).

Btw, I say prop tank because that is my actual goal. I really just want the tank to try out different techniques. My initial plan was to just have tiers of egg crate, and LR carefully placed w/ a deep sand bed (w/ tank style appropriate clean up crew), some mangroves and other useful plantage in the sump and see if I can go skimmer free (I'll get the seaclone 100 from fosters for sixty dollars if not).

The deal I have going right now gives me: 55 ga tank, 20lbs LR,45lbs LS, Overflow w/ pump, 10 g sump (I may upgrade that depending), six stage RO/DI unit, and a stand.
So, I need light!

I was thinking about one of these: Nova Extreme T-5 Fixtures w/Lunar Lights 36" - 156 watts from Dr fosters. Costs 189.

What else do you suggest? Any questions comments and or concerns (please give rationale)?

Thanks for the welcome!

I agree that a cannister filter can be used for FOWLR Tank.

A sump filter with skimmer is probably the best filtration for saltwater tanks.

If you want to raise any type of corals other than mushrooms, you will need better lighting than 156watts for a 55gallon tank. Consider a 6-8 54watt bulb T5 fixture I believe Current USA or Sunlight may have what you need.

HTH

Doug

tunicata said:
Okay, great.
I'll skip on the offer with the fluval, unless I just get the lights (he has enough wpg) if the payout is in my favor (if his six set of PC's cost less than 1 set of T-5 from Dr Foster. His are 3 mos old).

Btw, I say prop tank because that is my actual goal. I really just want the tank to try out different techniques. My initial plan was to just have tiers of egg crate, and LR carefully placed w/ a deep sand bed (w/ tank style appropriate clean up crew), some mangroves and other useful plantage in the sump and see if I can go skimmer free (I'll get the seaclone 100 from fosters for sixty dollars if not).

The deal I have going right now gives me: 55 ga tank, 20lbs LR,45lbs LS, Overflow w/ pump, 10 g sump (I may upgrade that depending), six stage RO/DI unit, and a stand.
So, I need light!

I was thinking about one of these: Nova Extreme T-5 Fixtures w/Lunar Lights 36" - 156 watts from Dr fosters. Costs 189.

What else do you suggest? Any questions comments and or concerns (please give rationale)?

Thanks for the welcome!

Since you seem to be on a budget, when buying fluorescent lights, costs of replacing bulbs are far more then the price of fixtures, and you should factor them properly. On the same note, don't waste money on the lunar lights.

160W of PC or T5 is not nearly enough for 55gal tank, let alone propagation tank.

Skimmer is far, far more beneficial then DSB. As a matter of fact, people often go bare bottom in propagation tanks. Also, SeaClone is generaly considerd the worst possible skimmer on the market, so save your money and try to find something else (like Aqua-C Remora).

You mentioned the cleaner crew. DO NOT use hermit or any other type of crab in the propagation tanks. Frags are to small and to fragile to compete with crabs or be anoyed and trampled by crabs. You will be either feeding them with the stuff that the crabs are used to eat (floating rotifers and similar microplankton) or would target feed them with appropriate quantities so no need for crabs.

What type of corals do you plan to propagate? If hard, plan about any of the following Ca suplementation: Ca reactor, 2 part solutions, very frequent water changes. If soft, skimmer will be of great value when fragging softies, since they tend to release a lot of slime which might bother other corals.