• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Newbie needs help with test kit routine I can keep up with!

I’m starting a new 140 gallon reef tank this weekend and wanted to buy all the test kits I need. This is my least favorite part of reefing from past tank experience so I’m looking for something convenient and easy I can stick with!

What should I test for when I first start the tank?
How often?
Which test kits are easy and most accurate?

When the tank finishes cycling what should I test for and how often?
If someone has a good system, please share your practices! I would like to keep a log of these results near the tank but make it something I will actually do!

Wow. Great question. I am more than happy to share my testing routine. The problem is when it comes to testing, all the advice in the world isn’t going to help you if you don’t do it. That fact that you are asking this question and pointing out that you don’t like doing it but want to know how best to maximize your success. tells me you will be fine. In fact, better off than most. It is often said we hobbies aren’t reef keepers at all, We are plumbers and chemists. Because we don’t do anything for the inhabitants except maintain water in the best condition we believe we can.
Now the rub. There is no perfect answer that will fit you. There are countless tests that can be performed. Many useless beyond just knowing something you didn’t know before. Then there is the fact that some people “chase numbers”. Because of testing and trying to find that magical unicorn number (which dose not excist) and end up making things worse. A Reefers goal should be stability. This cannot be stated enough. A stable low or high parameter will grant you many Times the success than one that is aggressively targeted at some mythical number but bounces up and down.
I could easily bend your ear for hours on this subject. My best advice is to PM me and I will give you my cell number and I will gladly dispense my long winded opinions. i do however have one bit of advice that since I did... I will never go back. AUTOMATED TESTING. For me it is the greatest thing I have done for my system. It never skips a test. It’s interpretation of silly color regents are far superior and infinitely more accurate than my eyes. It logs all tests. And emails me results. Darn thing will even dose to fix something that isn’t where it should be. It is not cheap, (but what is in reefing). But it has just about completely removed all the inaccurate pain in the but part of the hobby. Heck it even does it while I’m on vacation or out of commission. I can’t tell you how good it felt laying in the hospital. A few weeks ago, going stir crazy knowing my kids with all there good intentions where making sure dads tank was taken care of. And Beeeeep in comes my test reports giving me the thumbs up.... PRICELESS. :)

Great answer Sponge. Get some sleep it's your day off!! Lol.

I used the API test kit to measure the ammonia when I was cycling. To be honest, I also used the ammonia badge. They were both consistent but me being such a worry wart redundancy was a plus. Once the badge read 0 & the test confirmed it. I dosed some more ammonia & in less than 24hrs. Gone. Then I tested for Nitrites & Nitrates. So I used the API test kit & Ammonia Badge. I find that if I keep it as a routine it seems less like a chore & I just do it because I'm accustomed to it. & if u are feeling lazy you just glance at the badge. :p :eagerness: Happy Reefing!

Hope this helped & if we haven't said it yet WELCOME TO THE CLUB!!!!!!

Last edited:

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
While cycling and stocking I tested
Ammonia
PH
Nitrite
Nitrate
Phosphate
Calcium
Alkalinity
Specific gravity

Once the tank starts to stabilize I test Alk and Calc.
As Matt stated stability so I ensue these are stable.
My Alk is low but won't chase it cause tank is doing well, except for a little algae.I

An ATO will help stabilize SG.
Good luck.

While cycling and stocking I tested
Ammonia
PH
Nitrite
Nitrate
Phosphate
Calcium
Alkalinity
Specific gravity

Once the tank starts to stabilize I test Alk and Calc.
As Matt stated stability so I ensue these are stable.
My Alk is low but won't chase it cause tank is doing well, except for a little algae.I

An ATO will help stabilize SG.
Good luck.
Thanks so much for the advice!!

Wow. Great question. I am more than happy to share my testing routine. The problem is when it comes to testing, all the advice in the world isn’t going to help you if you don’t do it. That fact that you are asking this question and pointing out that you don’t like doing it but want to know how best to maximize your success. tells me you will be fine. In fact, better off than most. It is often said we hobbies aren’t reef keepers at all, We are plumbers and chemists. Because we don’t do anything for the inhabitants except maintain water in the best condition we believe we can.
Now the rub. There is no perfect answer that will fit you. There are countless tests that can be performed. Many useless beyond just knowing something you didn’t know before. Then there is the fact that some people “chase numbers”. Because of testing and trying to find that magical unicorn number (which dose not excist) and end up making things worse. A Reefers goal should be stability. This cannot be stated enough. A stable low or high parameter will grant you many Times the success than one that is aggressively targeted at some mythical number but bounces up and down.
I could easily bend your ear for hours on this subject. My best advice is to PM me and I will give you my cell number and I will gladly dispense my long winded opinions. i do however have one bit of advice that since I did... I will never go back. AUTOMATED TESTING. For me it is the greatest thing I have done for my system. It never skips a test. It’s interpretation of silly color regents are far superior and infinitely more accurate than my eyes. It logs all tests. And emails me results. Darn thing will even dose to fix something that isn’t where it should be. It is not cheap, (but what is in reefing). But it has just about completely removed all the inaccurate pain in the but part of the hobby. Heck it even does it while I’m on vacation or out of commission. I can’t tell you how good it felt laying in the hospital. A few weeks ago, going stir crazy knowing my kids with all there good intentions where making sure dads tank was taken care of. And Beeeeep in comes my test reports giving me the thumbs up.... PRICELESS. :)
Thanks so much for that amazing reply! Would really love to know about the automated system and what’s involved financially and setting up. Sending you a DM!

horseplay

NJRC Member
Welcome to the board and the hobby.

Let's keep it simple here. For a newbie, the only thing you have to test in Salinity. You can worry about everything else a few months later.

Thanks so much for that amazing reply! Would really love to know about the automated system and what’s involved financially and setting up. Sending you a DM!
Returned your PM Feel free to contact me anytime with any more details I can help you with. Also. As far has financial. The bot uses same kits you would use anyway. But technically cheaper because you only buy refill kits. Don’t need the tools that come with full kits. As far as cost of unit. All info is readily available for all the automated testers on the web. I will add that my bot did have some troubles. But I feel I must say tech support was excellent. And the machine “so far” has been pretty much flawless.

Last edited:
Omri.
Returned your PM an realized I should have answered in this group message as one guys view is hardly something you should rely on in this hobby as a source for info and most people in this forum have a much longer history with reef keeping Han I do. I am pasting it hear as well so others may add or takeaway any advice I may have given or otherwise comment in a manner that may be helpful to you or others who may care to know.

Yes. Presently. I am using a REEFBOT. And I keep an eye on all the new technology as it interest me a great deal. However, Nothing will replace good habits and paying close attention to your tank. People have an amazing ability to notice even the slightest change in things often so small they aren’t even sure what it is just that something is different. Of course we call that instinct. It has kept many a thing alive since the dawn of time. Reefing is a challenge that most of who dabble with, accept as part of the joy. Let’s face it. These buggers are beautiful but sensitive to 8th degree and it takes very little to knock things out of wack. I chose the reefbot for many reasons. But the primary one is because it’s impossible for us to test water on a regular basis to any sort of lab grade level. It simply isn't practical or realistic. So we all rely on color wheels and chemical regents And accept there flaws. And truth be told it’s good enough. Once you get in the habit of a routine testing, you will learn to notice the inconsistency that is inherent in them. My experience has been the test are actually more accurate then I originally thought. The problem is not the kits, It’s us. Did you really put the exact number of drops. Did you really start with the exact amount of tank water. Did you shake. Or stir. Did you introduce to much air. How long did the test take. I could go on for an hour about the inconsistent things we all do but the final problem is interpreting the result. human eyes flat out suck. Show the same test to 10 people and you have a room split who thinks the color matches two or three possibilities and heaven forbid you look at it in different kelvin lights. This simply never happens with my bot. I have tried to screw it up just to check things. It never wavers because it does things Exactly the same way. Every single time. It even washes everything between every step. It is unimaginably consistent. It even will deny a test and tell me to change a regent because it can see one of the chemicals has color shifted and is no longer reliable. I mean who even looks for that. Now. Despite my ringing endorsement, nothing. I mean nothing. Will replace instinct. You Will spot things that set off your spider senses. Way before testing. And testing is important but corals die for a plethora of reasons like bugs disease light temperature and anything inconsistent. But for me, automated testing has made the game easier. More reliable and frankly has taken the more mundane aspect of this wonderful hobby and kicked it to the curb.
My apologies to all for the long winded dissertation. But if you can’t tell I really do support the new equipment and look forward to more technological advances that are making this hobby a little more pleasing.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
Once you cycled it gets easier. I only regularly test (daily) for phosphates and alk. I could probably give up phosphate testing or at least go to weekly, but a reefbot is doing it for me so I keep it going.