• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

I'm looking to slowly add more and more sps to my tank.
Can anyone recommend a guide to SPS?
What I need to know is,.... the difference beteween a digi, monti, acro etc.?

As far as I know, there is no one book thats a guide to keeping SPS.. 

Basically, I can sum it up easily, a well established tank, stability, excellent water quality, lots of circulation and high powered lighting..

As for the differences between  digi, monti, acro etc, its the family and genus.

i.e. 

Montipora digitata
Acropora tenuis
etc.

Montipora and Acropora are the two most popular SPS coral genus out there..  digi is just shorthand for digitata, one species of Montipora (aka, a finger like Monti as opposed to a plating, which would be Montipora capricornis)

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Caps and digitatas seem to be the most forgiving of the SPS. Getting something captive bred is better for you at this point than wild caught colonies as the wild caught are usually less forgiving. Frags are good to start with because then you don't have as much invested if the coral goes south on you.

Greens and oranges are less light demanding than pink, purple and blue.

A purple cap needs more light, generally speaking, than a green cap. Acros (Milli's in particular) like A LOT of flow.

The club has lots of cap and digi if you want to get started with some of the easier SPS.

Good luck and enjoy.

C

concept3

grrr beaten to the punch, here's my two cents:

Nagel and Phyl are right:
Montipora species are rather less demanding and forgiving due to their less intense light requirements and fast growth. Basically, one can grow Montipora capricornis (plating) and M. digitatas (finger or digit-like, branching) under Power compacts, VHO's or T5's, given they are the correct spectrum (10,000K and/or 50/50). Someone I know uses VHO's in a 75 gallon, and he grows caps, digitatas and a few other "true" acroporas in the tank. His Acroporas have a slower growth in his tank because of the lesser PAR, but the colors are very close.

Here are some closeups of:

Acropora millepora (the one that Phyl mentioned likes more flow than "normal":
T0015.jpg

Acropora tortuosa
j3.jpg

another Acropora
T001.jpg

and here's a Montipora:
DIGITATA
actinic4.jpg

Montipora caps, green purple and orange (disregard the digitata in between them)
T010.jpg

C

concept3

one last thing: these guys are calcium hogs, so if you don't drip Kalkwasser or have a calcium reactor, start that baby up to build up that Ca++

Hope to see your tank with SPS soon!!!

concept3 said:
Someone I know uses VHO's in a 75 gallon, and he grows caps, digitatas and a few other "true" acroporas in the tank. His Acroporas have a slower growth in his tank because of the lesser PAR, but the colors are very close.

I heard that guy switched to an aquaspacelight dual 250hqi;D, he's been using tons of the B-ionic two part system since day one not only to build up the CA but to assist with the coraline growth. The colors were close but have intensified greatly with the additional light.

I am running 2x 175 MH over the 75g. I don't drip Kalkwasser or have a calcium reactor but I know I have to start with Bionic.

The club has some sps that I could get a frag of? How would I get these? Do I pay or just return a frag to the club when it grows out?

C

concept3

alistair, most club stock are housed in Phyl's basement. She has a HUGE selection of club SPS/LPS and softies which we sell to members cheap. Also, our monthly meetings are the best place to obtain frags, the raffle part of it is kinda cool too. The next meeting is in Bordentown, and we're doing a DIY calcium reactor there, you can PM Phyl to see what she has available, start with Montiporas at first and see how they do.

"That guy" who was growing SPS in a 75 with VHO, was he using 440watts and what type of bulbs did he use?

Maybe Francis would know??

blange3 said:
"That guy" who was growing SPS in a 75 with VHO, was he using 440watts and what type of bulbs did he use?

Maybe Francis would know??

He was using 440VHO with 3 aquasun 10k and a single Uri actinic. It worked out fairly well, although "that guy" was looking for more growth which he has noticed since switching. He also attempted to keep a rbta but the lighting was not enough IMHO, I don't think flow was the issue since the rbta hung on the top portion of the glass. The rbta did find a good home and is most likely thriving as I type.