• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

NJRC Experts

Being new to the site for just a few months now I haven't gotten a complete grasp on all the members yet so I was wondering for my benefit and all the members benefits if there were certain members we would consider "experts" in a certain category that we all could pick their brains on that subject from time to time. I am sure this topic could contain biases and be debatable, but I think it could also be very helpful, fun, and appreciative for those who are mentioned.

Examples off the top of my head would be each coral group (LPS expert, SPS, Clams, Soft, etc), Invert expert, Breeding expert, LR/LS/DSB expert, Fragging Expert, Foam Background Expert, DIY Expert, Sump/Refugium Expert, Plumbing Expert, Tank Chemistry Expert, Lighting Expert, Fish Experts (Tangs, Angels, Clowns, Wrasse, etc). Feel free to add any that I forgot to mention.

-Matt

Tank Chemistry Expert: Boomer
DIY Expert, Sump/Refugium Expert: RichT
Sea Horse Expert: Panmanmatt
Fish Experts: Joetbs
coral group (LPS expert, SPS, Clams, Soft): Joetbs

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head that I would consider experts. People that have a vast knowledge in a particular area. However there lots of members here that may not be "experts" but they can grow big beautiful corals and have amazing tanks.

This is going very well so far. What I like most is that a good number of the names you mentioned I haven't read posts on and now I am more inclined to go read up on some of their stuff.

-Matt

concept3 said:
"Softie" and back reef lagoon expert: blange3 (bill)

I'm declining Merv's very kind designation; but I will accept being classed as Jeff described as someone who has managed to learn enough to grow some big beautiful corals. ;)

I'm also very willing to share what I know.

I will nominate concept3 (Merv) as one of the most experienced in growing and propagating SPS.

MikeNapoli said:
Can I be the expert in making mistakes?

Mistake Expert: MikeNapoli

Well said! The only reason I have success today with my reef is that over many many years, I have been able to make almost every possible mistake. Some of these errors are forgiveable though, because at the time, no one else knew the correct solution or method.