• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

NJRC Meetup at Reefapalooza NYC June 26-27

Now that Reefpalooza NYC is officially on (June 26-27), just wondering if NJRC members would be interested in setting up a time to meet up or at least coordinate going on the same day. It looks like they have a different format this year - you have to pick a 4.5 hour slot on either Saturday or Sunday, morning or afternoon. It also looks a little more expensive than in the past ($25 now) and kids are no longer free. I guess they have to make up for the limited capacity...

Anyway, it would be nice if we could coordinate showing up at the same time. It would give members a chance to meet each other, plus maybe swap some frags.

Reef-A-Palooza | New York (reefapaloozashow.net)

Last edited:
Bought my ticket yesterday. I have a feeling this will sell out at some point. Also, why is the njreef club not chipping in for a table? Members can drop off frags to sell and then the proceeds can go towards a club meeting/bbq in someone’s yard, group trip to an aquarium, etc. Also, conduct a member meet /frag swap from there. I am sure all of the empty tanks and spare parts we all have lying around can be pieced together to create the frag tanks for the table.
just planting a seed for someone else to water this idea and make it grow into something cool. I would participate.

OK, before we all wind up buying tickets and find out that it's on separate days and times, let's try to coordinate. If one of the mods could set up a survey, perhaps that would be the way to go?

I anticipate being pretty flexible myself with the time slots especially that far out. So I'd love to go when the most fellow NJRC members are going. In my limited experience, going early gives the best selection from the vendors. But going late allows you to pick up some deals from vendors who don't feel like bringing their stuff home, lol.

I love the idea of setting up a club table, but I have no idea how much it costs and whether it's worth it. If the club is interested in doing that, I would participate as well.

Side question and first time going. Is the ultimate pass worth it?

I never bought the Ultimate Pass before. Basically, it gives you the admission for 3 days (including the Friday when the vendors are normally coming in and getting set up), a sheet of raffle tickets (which are normally for sale on site if you want them), and some credit to use on Reefapalooza apparel.

In past years, buying a single day admission got you in for the whole day. Now it looks like a $25 ticket gets you in for half a day. So a big question would be whether you plan on being there for multiple days and whether you'd be spending money on the raffle anyway.

Reefapalooza itself was always well worth it for me. There were lots of vendors showing off new equipment and products. Lots of free samples (mostly fish and corals food as well as bottles of pods). There were several dealers who sold fish including one that was always far cheaper than store prices. Most of the big name coral vendors were there and you could buy frags directly from them, often with deeper discounts as the show was winding down. There were cool things that you'd never seen before (i.e. new variants of clowns or other captive-bred fish). And a number of the vendors themselves would raffle off stuff for free (everything ranging from Singapore angels, a gem tang, and a whole tank setup the last time I was there), in addition to the big show raffle that you had to actually pay for. A lot of the stores from the Northeast would be there with their fish and merchandise, many of them places that I would never make it to. I never had an issue with the prices as they were generally cheaper than regular store prices. Plus the selection can't be beat.

But best of all, it was just cool to see that many people that were excited about the reefing hobby, exchanging info with each other and geeking out about the cool frag or fish they just scored. It's a really awesome experience. The prices themselves were never an issue to me - it was more that there was so much cool stuff (some of it expensive) and I couldn't buy it all. So save up your money!

Hard to tell what this year will be like I guess given the pandemic. They already decided not to have speakers, but will there be the same number of vendors and exhibitors? Best way to tell might be to see the feedback coming out of Reefapalooza Orlando in mid-May.

Would be into going for Saturday, June 26th. I’m close to the event. Good chance to meet members, see what event has to buy, and talk shop.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
...and then the proceeds can go towards a club meeting/bbq in someone’s yard, group trip to an aquarium, etc.
Normally we do monthly meets. The past few years I've been doing a huge summer party, with exception of last year, of course. We have a few tables out for selling stuff, frag tanks for trades/sales, donated auction items, etc...
Hoping to get back to it this year depending on the overall Covid situation. We'll see how it goes.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I have been to and worked multiple RAPs over the years and it truly is a great event. It will be different this year with COVID, but you just have to adjust your expectations. So here is what my experience has been over the years. If you get the ultimate pass, Friday is a bit of a mess. Vendors show up all Different times and setup, some stick around, others leave for sleep/food. Now some stick around and sell but generally it is vendors selling to other vendors. You can buy stuff, but it will be at super premium prices. Some people don’t mind this as they are looking for that special piece and will grab it. Saturday is similiar, you get the first crack at everything but there are few if any discounts. You will see it all but might not get it all. Sunday is the deals day. Vendors don’t want to travel with their stock home so you can get big discounts and negotiate (within reason) with vendors. by this point most of the newest and best stuff is gone, it again depends on what you are looking for. Also, you can get some dry goods deals as vendors will sell their setups instead of brining them home. So again, depends on what you are looking for, also the speakers lineup can also influence when you want to go.

As for NJRC, we generally have a booth there and do raffles and sign ups, we will see with COVID and I dont want to speak for the current board, I am sure they will do something. As mark said above, generally swaps and yard sales are for monthly meetings, which have been canceled because of COVID. I am sure they will be back at some point. They really help make the club.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Are we doing a booth this year? If so, you can pen me in for Sunday mid-morning till 6pm or so. ;)
If not, I may see folks there Sunday regardless. I will wear my NJRC shirt and greet any fellow NJRC member by loudly announcing how happy I am that they finally got out of prison.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Are we doing a booth this year? If so, you can pen me in for Sunday mid-morning till 6pm or so. ;)
If not, I may see folks there Sunday regardless. I will wear my NJRC shirt and greet any fellow NJRC member by loudly announcing how happy I am that they finally got out of prison.
We reached out, but haven't heard back from them as of yet. If they do call us in, we will let folks know.