• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

No:PO-X

DYIguy

NJRC Member
I've been dealing with high nitrates for a while. I was dosing with vinegar and making more frequent water changes, but haven't been able to get the down enough- just got a bottle of Nopox and just started dosing- hoping I have better results than with vinegar- any recommendations

I've been dealing with high nitrates for a while. I was dosing with vinegar and making more frequent water changes, but haven't been able to get the down enough- just got a bottle of Nopox and just started dosing- hoping I have better results than with vinegar- any recommendations
I’ve been dosing the DIY NOPox (Vodka, vinegar and RODI water) and over the course of 12 weeks I went from 80plus ppm to 2.7ppm. Once I got it to this level I cut my dosage in half and has been holding steady. It works. Just don’t rush it. Follow the chart.

hcker99

Sponsor
Gold Sponsor
I'm using Salifert, but looks like they're negligable

That might be your issue. If you nitrates are high and phosphates low it's very difficult to get the nitrates down. Your going to have to start dosing phosphates to bring them up and then you can start to lower the nitrates. They can only really come down together.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
That might be your issue. If you nitrates are high and phosphates low it's very difficult to get the nitrates down. Your going to have to start dosing phosphates to bring them up and then you can start to lower the nitrates. They can only really come down together.
I have NeoPhos- should i dose at the recommended dosage

horseplay

NJRC Member
Agreed have to monitor both phosphate and nitrate to keep them in balance. Also a good skimmer to remove the bacteria once it starts working.

Salted

NJRC Member
It's great that it works, it worked for me while I was using it, but it's a bandaid. As soon as you stop the numbers go right back up. You have to change how you run the tank to keep the numbers down, or dose nopox for the rest of the tanks' life =$$$. If you're going to do that do the DIY nopox and grab a brs 1.1ml doser and a timer and you're set. Wilson416 has some for sale in deals and steals.

If you are using NOPox just follow the chart. It took me 13 weeks to go from 75+ to 2 ppm. There are other methods to drop them which won’t hurt your tank. Large water change but just make sure they don’t creep back up. More live rock, Chaeto or other macro algae will also help you.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
It's great that it works, it worked for me while I was using it, but it's a bandaid. As soon as you stop the numbers go right back up. You have to change how you run the tank to keep the numbers down, or dose nopox for the rest of the tanks' life =$$$. If you're going to do that do the DIY nopox and grab a brs 1.1ml doser and a timer and you're set. Wilson416 has some for sale in deals and steals.
I bought a liter for $40- at the rate I'm using it, it should last over 5 months- not that expensive to me, and hopefully things should straighten themselves out in the mean time

Salted

NJRC Member
I bought a liter for $40- at the rate I'm using it, it should last over 5 months- not that expensive to me, and hopefully things should straighten themselves out in the mean time
For $40 you could’ve made 5gal, gotten drunk and dyed Easter eggs:)