• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Nuisance Bryopsis Hair Algae

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Anyone having problems with Bryopsis may want to consider this treatment.

bryopsis.jpg

I was battling this plague for months one time and also overdosed MG one time but didn't correlate the disappearance of the bryopsis with the overdose.

HTH

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm reviving this thread for a guy I met at The Hidden Reef today. He's battling a tough case of hair algae and thought this might help.

Good luck John and post here if this helps you out.

John

If I'm not mistaken, bryopsis is attached pretty darn good, while hair algae is easily removed by hand even.

I have some bryopsis right now, so THANK YOU so much for that link. I'll be busy reading. :)

Oh, and my lettuce nudi is the only thing in my tank that even attempts to eat the bryopsis, nothing else will bother with it, not even my Kole tang.

---
Wendy

JohnS_323 said:
I'm reviving this thread for a guy I met at The Hidden Reef today. He's battling a tough case of hair algae and thought this might help.

John
Thanks this and a boat load of snail seems to have the problem in hand. Now onto removing cloadiness. I'm learning slowly but surely

Thanks again

John

Subliminal

NJRC Member
I bought a magnesium test and some tech m today. I'm going to see if it does anything for me. I started @ 1300 today, so we'll see what it does if i get it up...

:)

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
jellis_38 said:
JohnS_323 said:

John
Thanks this and a boat load of snail seems to have the problem in hand. Now onto removing cloadiness. I'm learning slowly but surely

Thanks again

John

Hey John! I'm glad you found us. Please stop by often. We may be located in NJ but our experience is universal (i.e. it'll even apply to a PA reef! :D)

Good luck and please stay in touch.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Subliminal said:
I bought a magnesium test and some tech m today. I'm going to see if it does anything for me. I started @ 1300 today, so we'll see what it does if i get it up...

Good Luck...be sure to keep us up to date.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Like Rich said, keep us posted. I'd be interested in seeing you results, knowing what you came home to!

Subliminal

NJRC Member
You bet. The next few days I'll be keeping a close eye on those three params...and probably on nitrates as well. If the hair does die, I hear it releases back whatever nutrients it'd been eating into the water column.

Have 10 gallons ro/di saltwater from eagle reefs standing by if necessary.

Subliminal

NJRC Member
Right now from about 1100 to 1300. I'm trying to work it up, but think I'm going to slow down a bit.

I've gotta tell ya, those crazy Dutch make a confusing test kit.