• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Ocean gallery 2 experience

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
Went to check out their Black Friday weekend deals, it was completely garbage imo all the tanks where dirty as hell, every tank covered in bubble algae all the lower end softies stupidly over priced 2 head candy canes for $30-40 everything was just garbage i drove an hour there so i decided to buy two small frags to try and clean up em best i can cut them off the plugs to find some weird white eggs and worms under the plugs nuked everything in coral dip hopefully nothing makes horrible store not recommended

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Yeah you should have drove down a few miles more down rt22 and gone to reefco completely different expirience. All the tanks are clean and he had a huge Black Friday sale.

The place is poorly lit, but there are definitely some hidden gems in OGII. I picked up a few things myself. As with any LFS, you gotta take proper precautions.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
OG USED TO have a clean and well run store, not sure what happened. I still remember when Brian worked there. he was one of the nicest guys

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
OG USED TO have a clean and well run store, not sure what happened. I still remember when Brian worked there. he was one of the nicest guys
yah the guy working there wasnt nice at all didnt know much about saltwater at all... asked them if i can get a red mushroom off the rock there was that fell off and how much they wanted for it told me $20 for a single little red mushroom haha im like umm,.... i ended up buying two small frags which i regret but what ever

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I haven't been there in a while but for a good time it was really good! However, I bought a few fish there and they all showed signs of velvet/ich after a few days in QT. can't really fault them for that since there is always a chance for symptoms with any new fish but that just tells me their system has it. Also, I bought a sixline wrasse and whoever was trying to catch it poorly handled the fish. brought it home to see that it was scratched up and has minor cuts. wish I could of caught it before going home but like Wilson said, its poorly lit in there.

Reefco is opening Tuesday-Saturday starting this week I'm pretty sure. I would advise any and everyone to go to him before Ocean Gallery II. I've watched OGII clean their tanks and it literally consists of them swirling their bare hands in the tank and causing a tornado, stressing the hell out of the fish and not even siphoning it. Even a year ago was a lot better but I don't even waste my time going in there anymore. As @Wilson said, you may get lucky every once in a while and find something but overall, if your not local, don't bother. Reefco is a much more personalized experience and continues to impress anytime I go in there (which is a lot).

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
Reefco is opening Tuesday-Saturday starting this week I'm pretty sure. I would advise any and everyone to go to him before Ocean Gallery II. I've watched OGII clean their tanks and it literally consists of them swirling their bare hands in the tank and causing a tornado, stressing the hell out of the fish and not even siphoning it. Even a year ago was a lot better but I don't even waste my time going in there anymore. As @Wilson said, you may get lucky every once in a while and find something but overall, if your not local, don't bother. Reefco is a much more personalized experience and continues to impress anytime I go in there (which is a lot).
looks like ima take the wife and try it out maybe shell buy me and early christmas gift :)

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I just moved and I tore down my tank.
the new house Is close to ocean gallery.
I need help making RO water since my new tank is 210 and the sump is 100 gallons.
I drove to ocean gallery to get some RO to help me get the tank started and when I took a look at their rodi filter I was that’s it’s. It was an old 100 gallon a day filter and I can clearly see the cartridges need changing lol
I said no thank you and just upgrade my system at home to 7 stage from BRS.

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
I just moved and I tore down my tank.
the new house Is close to ocean gallery.
I need help making RO water since my new tank is 210 and the sump is 100 gallons.
I drove to ocean gallery to get some RO to help me get the tank started and when I took a look at their rodi filter I was that’s it’s. It was an old 100 gallon a day filter and I can clearly see the cartridges need changing lol
I said no thank you and just upgrade my system at home to 7 stage from BRS.
yea i saw that when i was there too literally black build up horrible place

I know what everyone is talking about. OG II has definitely gone down hill lately. It's very dark inside, the guys there are not very helpful, last week I pointed out that several tanks had dead fish lying on the bottom of them, and he just shrugged at me. Maybe the ownership has changed because its not what it used to be?

radiata

NJRC Member

Agreed --- Brian was a really great guy to deal with. But he, unfortunately, had his problems. I'd really like to know what the "cause of death" was on his death certificate...

Anyone know if Gary Ort is still the owner, or if his son Craig is still the store manager? I haven't seen either on the last few stops I've made there...

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
The last time I was there, Craig was still the manager. I think Gary is still around but I haven't spoken to him.

The place is just falling apart and I'm guessing that's after years of operation.

Any one have any updates about Ocean Gallery II? I’m sorry to hear it’s gone down hill, that was my go to place years ago. Now that I’m starting up again I was hoping to make a trip out there, but now I don’t think I will. I really hope they turn it around. It use to be such a great place.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Any one have any updates about Ocean Gallery II? I’m sorry to hear it’s gone down hill, that was my go to place years ago. Now that I’m starting up again I was hoping to make a trip out there, but now I don’t think I will. I really hope they turn it around. It use to be such a great place.

go to reefco it’s on Rt 22 and you will be very happy with the store