• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

oceanic 175 reef ready bow

well i bought the tank off a guy in the bronx last year on e bay, great deal, i got the tank stand plastic hood, aquamedic 1/2 horse chiller, and a couple pumps for 1500, it sat in my living room for 8 months before i even thought about starting it up,
IMG_0453.jpg
i got a 250 gal pro clear sump, hooked up the plumbing, got the sequence reefflow on e bay, then came the sand and live rock, i think that was why i waited so long, i knew i was going to be digging deep, so i went to the LFS and got 200 lbs of live sand, and started mixing my salt, after i had it running for 2 weeks with just the sand in it,
IMG_0471.jpg
i got 250 pounds of carribean cabbage rock, well worth the extra work cleaning and curing, beautiful rock,
IMG_0565.jpg
then came the skimmer, after 3 skimmers i finally settled with my ets(great little skimmer) run by a iwaki 20rlt, i have 4 koria 4 pumps for wave mothion on a timer alternating 2 on 2 off, in oppposite corners, then i wasnt happy with the sump so i built my own refugium out of 1/4 inch acrylic(not fun), sump measures 36x15x15, with auto top off suplied by 6 stage ro plumbed under the house, theres 30 lbs live rock in the fuge with 6 mangroved, cheato and live sand( about 40 lbs) and i borrowed the light for the refuge from my nano cube im not using anymore
IMG_0758.jpg
, i have 3 400 watt halides in a hood that i made myself to keep the lights off the water(lots of heat)there is a 25 watt uv lamp on the back and i just put a phosban reactor in, my next upgrade will be a monster skimmer so the sps corals i want to start growing will be happy........tadaaa, my mini reef in a nut shell
IMG_0757.jpg

1 vlamingi tang
3 perculas
2 spotted mandarins(1 male, 1 female)
1 large lawnmower blenny
1 purple psuedo
1 6 line wrasse
1 hippo tang
and i think theres a green clown blenny in there somewhere
2 peppermint shrimp
1 arrow crab
2 emerald crabs
100 or so snails
30 blue hermits
20 red hermits
1 haloween hermit
2 large snails
15 white hermits
2 purple urchins

final ???, lol, it"s never final, anyone on here run mrc skimmers? im looking at an mrc 3, i lovr the ets, i dont know if i want to go to a beckett

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Hey Wayne. I am running a MR-2R on a 265 gal reef, and couldn't be happier with it. I would recommend it over the ETSS. Also you might be overdoing it with the MR3 on a 175, you would certainly be fine with a MR2 in my opinion. Good luck!!

yeah, 3 of them, i had one in my nano , when i took it down he went in here, the 2 bigger percs wont let junior play in the anenome though, so he decided to use my brain as a host

Nice setup. looking forward to progress updates. I have 3 percs also, i've had them for a year and a half with no issues, it's not that rare really. I read in a book once that in the wild they coexist in 3's but i could be wrong.

Harry

Mini reef? ;) I guess compared to the real one. I like your fuge set up and rock work a lot.

Funny most thread (in particular with bigger tanks) take forever to show the setup. Your's was on fast forward.
No suspense or drama. Like speed dating ;D. Anyway nicely done and show us some close ups when you get a chance please.

I find the 3 percs odd because i though in a confined space (I know its a 175, lol- i mean a fish tank) only 2 will ever exist. But i guess i was wrong, i have to try that now. Got more pics of the Vlamingi tang?

harryk said:
Nice setup. looking forward to progress updates. I have 3 percs also, i've had them for a year and a half with no issues, it's not that rare really. I read in a book once that in the wild they coexist in 3's but i could be wrong.

Harry
Harry - you're not wrong...actually in the wild clowns may exist in a pair or in a group. The two adults rule while the rest are "sub-adults". Keep in mind in the wild percs typically roost in Heteractis magnifica and Stichodactyla gigantea, - both of which grow really big and can easily accommodate multiple clowns. Speaking of which - neither are truly suitable for our tanks because of how big they grow.

wow i am thrilled by seeing your vlamingi. I have always wanted one, either that or a unicornis. Do you think a 9" one can live in a 125 gallon? I think i can get one for under a 100.