• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Octopus Extreme Skimmer

Anyone have one - experiences? plus? minus?

this would be for my 120. thanks!

and no i can't afford a deltec thanks. :)

That is the one that Wendy has I think or Momof6kids they are happy with it...I had one built by Orca Systems...it is sort of cross between the Octopus recirculation and the extreme. It has the Sicce pump which with the mesh mod which has more air output then any other pump its size. I have it tuned in pretty well now, considering I didn't know what I was doing it was pretty easy.
Now to try better to answer your question, everything I read on this Octopus was very positive, I was going to buy that skimmer too. The MSX extreme is the sister skimmer...and they are available at Marine Solutions now ...the Octopus is harder to find or was. I give a big thumbs up to the pump.

Here is where I bought mine, cannot say enough about Shan super nice guy.
http://protein-skimmer.com/FAQ.asp?id=446996&page=1&shopperid=

Thanks James - I've been following your tank thread as well...good info.

I know wendy has the octopus recirculating skimmer - and I saw Pistolpete mention the octopus extreme but didn't want to hijack that thread (on asm skimmers) and I know mott just sold a new one (too big for his sump). Been doing some searches - but haven't really since this skimmer as prevalent as say the My Reef Creations brand or EuroReef/Asm.

Phil, I don't have the Extreme, I have the PRO, and I tell you why I decided against the Extreme. I was seriously considering them for the 180, but I kept reading about folks having problems with the mesh mod on their pumps starting up properly. If I'm not mistaken, you now have the option whether you want needlewheel or meshmod on your pump, but please don't quote me on that. The mesh will need to be replaced every year or so, as it will wear out. I didn't want a potential problem, therefore went with the PRO 300S.

---
Wendy

Darn I wish I had all the threads for it on different forums...I think if you ask PremiumAquatics they can link you up. They were sort of "hosting" the thread that I remember reading. The Octopus Skimmers bang for the buck are very good. PA was due a shipment of the new ones in mid July but didn't get them until August I think.

I would have gone that route but A. they were not available right when I wanted them. B. Shan built mine and sump...sort of took a chance I guess because it is not a known "name brand"...but they all fit together and I trusted the quality.

To chime in with Wendy, yep the mesh mod is a bit finicky...Shan warned me of it in fact. Once you get it running it is champ though. I think she is right you can get the needlewheel...or at least I could but went with the meshmod because that was how it was built...15 bucks to change it out.

thanks guys....i also read prettyboy's new thread...maybe he'll chime in here too.

Anyways - I'm thinking of wiating until after the frag swap to purchase a skimmer (maybe an octopus will be raffled! haha). Just doing the research now I guess.

It's too bad I can't wait until 2009 when macna rolls around.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You could wait until next year... not all corals require skimmed water... and you could just change a lot of water between now and then to make up for it!!

im in the same boat as you phil. Right now Im between an ASM G4X mainly because everyone swears by them, MSX and the Octopus. Im leaning away from MSX due to their whole being hobbyists who build skimmers at night deal only because I know parts will be very hard to come by with their extrememly limited hours. So I guess now its between ASM and Octopus. Will from AO told me they are both pretty much the same design just different pumps. I also would like to have a recirc. skimmer which ASM doesnt make so the battle continues...

Well I made a decision today to go with the Octopus Pro 300 for a few reasons. One my sump was not bigg enough for even the Extreme 250, despite my huge sump the first chamber is only 15x14. Also heard numerous people complain about the mesh on the pump and honestly its not worth the headache in my eyes. A few others have experienced the Pro 300 and loved it so Im hoping for the extra $200 more over the extreme skimmer that this thing kicks butt, but well see and Ill keep everyone posted

nice - i'll definitely be following your updates!

Mind if I ask who you purchased it from? (or you could pm me if preferred).

I purchased from Will from AO... obviously he goes through a few different vendors but he always has some great prices and gets the product ASAP

I hope so wendy, I really wanted a big massive skimmer, but I guess this is all im squeezing in the sump in the first chamber. Its on a 180 and I really like to oversize filters too, i think this is good for 300gal right? Would like one for 500gal but this will work lol... Though my MRC MR-2 is now going on a 55gal, so talk about a huge skimmer on a small tank lol

Wendy,

Just a quick question - maybe it will help PrettyBoy as well... I have the same skimmer and can't seem to get it to dial in. I have it in 8" of water (about 1/4 above the outflow pipe). It skims fantastically until the water evaporates throughout the day. By the time I get home at night, the water is low enough that the foam isn't reaching even the base of the neck! I evaporate about 3 gallons a day. If i close the pipe more to get it to skim in lower water it overflows all morning long. I just can't seem to hit a middle ground that keeps it skimming all day.

Phil, I did sell the extreme 200 cause the thing was a beast. I now have the extreme 160 it comes with the needlewheel installed and the mesh option, I'm using it with the needle wheel and so far after 24hrs it's starting to skim, my skimmer compartment always has 11-12"'s of water and don't have to worry about evap where the skimmer is. It is fairly easy to adjust but I'm still not sure if I like it yet, I'm going to give it a couple of months before I decide. I will say so far compared to my old G2, the G2 seemed to pull more junk out, even on day one the ASM went right to work.

And one thing I definitely do not like with the extreme skimmers is the collection cup, they use a o ring and you have to push the cup all the way down, and wiggle it while pulling to remove. The asm's are a lot easier to remove (quarter turn and lift).

kat,

I have mine sitting in 8" of water as well. We initialy set it right on the bottom of the sump but it made it much too hard to adjust. As for evaporation, my chamber doesn't evaporate at all, it stays constant. The only chambers that evaporate in my sump is my return section and the refugium section.

Here's a picture of my sump, made out of a 40 galllon breeder, before we built the platform for the skimmer.
IMG_1216.jpg

IMG_1204.jpg

As for the collection cup, mine comes with a drain valve, so I only need to actually remove the cup completely when I want to clean it thoroughly.

---
Wendy

katlongo said:
Wendy,

Just a quick question - maybe it will help PrettyBoy as well... I have the same skimmer and can't seem to get it to dial in. I have it in 8" of water (about 1/4 above the outflow pipe). It skims fantastically until the water evaporates throughout the day. By the time I get home at night, the water is low enough that the foam isn't reaching even the base of the neck! I evaporate about 3 gallons a day. If i close the pipe more to get it to skim in lower water it overflows all morning long. I just can't seem to hit a middle ground that keeps it skimming all day.

@mott768
Do you have to remove the collection cup everytime to empty it or only for cleaning?

your sale post was one of the main reasons I looked into the skimmer.

@jerseywendy

Unfortunately while I love the design feature of not having to remove the collection cup from the 300S - I don't think I need such a big skimmer. The 250 doesn't appear to have that option.

Hmmm decisions...

The extreme series have the same drain line on the cup, you can use the plug or use a tube into a container, but the cup still should be cleaned at least once a week, the more gunk builds up the less effective your skimming becomes. I like setting my skimmers so every 2-3 day's I get a full stinky cup full of skimate. It's sad to say but the cup reminds me of the ones on seaclones, just bigger.