• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Old timer coming back to the hobby!

Hey guys, some of you if you still out there probably still remember me.

I used to have a 29g skimerless reef tank for about 2.5 years, had to get out of the hobby do to financial issues and a baby :)

Been out for about 4 years, finally decided to go back to it, miss it way too much.

Decided to go small, not that much room in the house, just ordered a 30g Glass M-tank from Finnex.

Should be here tomorrow. Going to need some help reminding me how some things go..

As soon as I get the tank I will keep in touch.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome back!

Love the look of the Finnex tanks, we just started up a nano section here, come on over there when you get a chance!

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Welcome back to NJRC. Have any questions, just ask away. I think we have an expert in every field here.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Welcome home! Pull up a chair and hang out for a while. No need waiting til the tank is ready.

Looking forward to hearing more from you.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Welcome back! If you need anything or have any questions, let us know. We're here to help.

Hello volk,

Welcome back!

I'm sure you remember but one of the first things you need to do is to cycle your live rock and sand which can take a while. You normally want between 1 to 2lbs of rock per gallon of water so you will want 30 to 60lbs of rock. Use whatever amount of sand you think looks good.

I'm trying to help out people getting started to make it easier. If you'd like to skip the start up cycle and get down to business you could purchase regular liverock that hasn't fully cycled (normally a couple bucks cheaper a pound) and bring it over and trade rock with me. I've got a lot of rock of all sizes that I could trade with you. Same with sand more or less. Just buy non-live sand and then bring over 5 to 50 pounds (whatever) of sand and I'll give you good seasoned sand you can mix in with your non-live sand to kick things off with. Going this route will short circuit the nitrogen cycle and allow you to start stocking the tank rather quickly.

I'm in Bordentown right off exit 7 of the turnpike and exit 57 off 295. If I can be of help to you let me know.

Carlo

guys, thank you so much for kind words. i didnt expect less from the NJ people. I remember that Reef meetings were always great and lots of fun.

Tank is coming in today. I dont want to throw alot of money in this. What im gonna do is put some SouthDown sand, I think I still have a bag of it from few years back, if not, do they still sell it in Home Depot?

A cup or two of live sand would be great from someone.
Carlo, I would defenetely take you up on the offer for sand.

For Live Rock I was just thinking to buy few rocks of Live Rock in the LFS or maybe of someone who's selling his and just wait it out till it ready.

I got nothing but patience, I like doing things right and not in a rush.

One thing I forgot, for DSB, i dont want to put 4-6 inches of sand there, I think on my last tank I had about 2 inches, but dont remember already. Will 2 inches of sand will do?

Also for the cycling a tank, as I remember to watch the amonia, nitrate, etc. there was no need to go with fancy chemicals, like cheap RedSea kits should do, right?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You won't have a "DSB" with 2" of sand, but that's a pretty common display depth, regardless. The club will have rock in a couple of weeks for 3$/#.

We used a fasttest kit when we first started.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The rock is proceeds from a tank breakdown that the club purchased.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
No. One of our members needs to take a break from the hobby for a while. He was kind enough to sell/donate a bunch of stuff to the club. One of the things we will be getting is some LR.

Got the tank in today, it was quick, ordered on Wednesday. Packing was great, everything came in one piece, nothing broken. Thank God for double boxes, the outer box was a bit damaged, I was scared to open the box at first.

Having problems figuring out the skimmer part, it dont fit with the pump in its
compartment. On the diagram it shows a different model skimmer, so I contacted Finexx guys, waiting for respond.

Here are some pics if someone still haven't seen the Finexx 30G Glass M-Tank yet.
tank_back.sized.jpg

tank_front.sized.jpg

tank_top.sized.jpg

Volk just to let u know the club is more organized now then
how it was managed years ago, no more money in a shoe box :)
El Presidente & the officers have done an awesome job.

Steve, I guess i'll find out when I show up for one of these meetings. As I remember we used to cheap in for beer and burgers back then :) and it was still fun!