• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Olive sand sifting periscope snail

Well I did it again. I thought I was buying one type of sea critter and purchased something completely different. I seen this monster crawling around the tank and thought wow what a huge nassarius snail that'll do a fine job cleaning my sand bed. Well once I got home and noticed the name on the receipt wasn't nassarius I did a Google search and found that these guys are predatory snails. While I could keep it in my refugiun I'm worried he may eat my crabs and amphipods and good stuff. Maybe I'm over reacting but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Anyway he's temp acclimating now to the tank and will end up in my refugium shortly but if anybody is interested in giving it a good forever home let me know. Or if anybody has any first hand experience with them let me know if i should keep it.20210331_153040.jpg

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Looks like you need to keep this one in your sump but may eventually starve.

Olive Snail

Scientific Name: Olivia Sp
Reef Compatibility: No

Minimum Tank Size: 30 gal

Max Size: 2”

Food/Feeding: Carnivore, Scavenger, they can be fed chunks of scallops and shrimp to help avoid exhausting the sandbed of food, leading to starvation of the snails.

Notes: Excelling at keeping the sand bed aerated but not considered reef safe, these burrowing snails tend to feed on other snails, bivalves and other inverts. They are not safe for reef aquariums or aquariums with other snails and invertebrates but are good for keeping the sand bed in community fish-only systems aerated.

Talk about your impulse buys. Joe, just google it while in the store. I do it all the time and walk away often.
I know i have a problem I honestly had no clue that it wasn't a nassarius and I didn't see the tag for it so I thought gigantic nassarius. Had I seen a tag i would have Googled it and walked away. Not my usual petco either so it wasn't close to home to bring back by time I got home. Oh well I guess the sump it is.