• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Online backups

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I was never one to backup my previous pcs , I never had a reason to until now. We now run a small home based business and I am afraid to lose my files. Last year my wife had a virus wipe out her computer and we lost a lot of files. Both of my computers are acting strange now. I have done virus scans and malware scans only to come up with nothing wrong. My computer has been acting up for at least the last 2 months and I am afraid it is going to crash any day . Over the past year I have backed up to my passport drive, but for some reason my computer does not recognize it anymore. My desktop is showing 3 phantom USB drives for some reason. I am now afraid to lose everything so I would like to look into online backups. I hear commercials for Carbonite all the time but I would like to look into all available options. Even if I only use it for a month or two I am looking to backup immediately before my computer crashes totally. It has a mind of its own, in fact I was typing this post when it rebooted and gave me the infamous blue screen so I had to switch to another device to make this post.:banghead:

Could/should I back up to Host Gator where my company website is hosted since I already pay for it. I have thought about this a few times, but I like the idea to be able to schedule the backups and not worry about it. They also sharing between computers and mobile devices which could help tremendously. Do you have any experience with any online backups or advice that you can share with me?

I have been using Carbonite for 6 years. About to renew for another 3.

It runs in the background and backups everything I save on my computer. They also just released for a bit more money that it will backup an external drive as well.

No complaints here at all.

I use Crashplan backup. it's unlimited and you can have multiple PCs backup to your PC or your account. it's like 6$/month & well worth it. I've got ~ 3 TB of data backed up at any given time

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thanks guys, anybody hear about MyPCbackup.com? The google search I did brought it up as No1 with a higher rating than carbonite? I wonder if they paid to get there, LOL

Meanwhile you can remove hard drive from your 'infected' PC and put it into enclosure to read it as an external drive from another PC and copy your documents to a new 'backup' drive.
Later , after you reformat you PC's drive and reinstall Windows, you can 1) install good antivirus 2) setup Carbonate or like service
If you think some files have dissapeared, they most likely there. Can be recovered (using this HD as external, again) using 'RecoverMyFiles' or like pgm.
Good luck.

I have a hard drive reader if you need. Let me know.

I personally use a 1 TB NAS with RAID1. If you are talking about toptenreviews.com, there was some chatter back some time ago about people complaining that the products basically bought there way up the ladder. I dont know how true that is though.