• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

opinions needed re: 90 gal. stand. is this an oops moment?

upload_2016-12-31_9-1-1.jpeg

ok so the top, bottom, and individual legs are glued and screwed but i only screwed the legs to the top and bottom and short pieces that go front to back . is this going to be a problem? I am adding another piece to the middle of the top. again was planning on just screwing it together rather than adding glue.

thank you. i was planning on putting the tank right on the top frame as is. Do you think i should cut strips of that neoprene BRS sells and glue to the top frame before putting the tank on it?

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Agree with @saltkreep88 ....you'll be just fine. There actually is no need for that off-centered brace.

As far as the top is concerned, my preference is to top with 3/4 plywood. My reasoning is that dimensional lumber has slight lumps, bumps and twists, so that it potentially is not perfectly flat. The plywood helps to flatten the top.

That won't help with a high corner etc that would twist the tank. Just place it up top and see what it does. Then you can use a planner to fix small issues.

so as it stands right now it is 43" high. could i get away with 1/2" plywood? i know it is ony a quarter of an inch difference but soon i will be staring at frame of the tank. (i am only 5'1)

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
1/2 inch can work....just make sure there's no high spots on the top of the dimensional wood. If there is, plane or sand them down.

I love overbuilding, rather be safe than sorry. 1/2 is good, I always use 3/4 but that's just an over builders opinion. Looks great so far but on the top why don't you put an extra support long ways. Just my last thought.