• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Opinions on overflow vs. RR

Good Morning! My search for the right set-up to get back 'in' continues and a fervent pace!As our 10 mo. year infants are getting much more self sufficient my optimism is soaring today.

I could really use some opinions. I have trying to go used due to daycare running 2000 per mo., but seeing the pricing at Aquatic Obsessions is seriously opening up my options. I do see some very good deals on non drilled tanks and am looking to see if I should go this way. I do have the patience to build a system slowly in order to help make ends meet.

The tank I want is a 125. With a stand with a minimum 34" height. I do have the opportunity to plumb to our basement, but am thinking it probably will not be feasible for the next setup for the next couple years.

My set up will be located against a corner in our living room and I wonder if I could use an exterior overflow without sacrificing to much as far risk of flood, noise or flow. I am not to crazy about corner overflows, because of the side view limitations. As a plan B, I am leaning heavily towards a centralized overflow of some sort especially since the 125 is long enough to be more creative with rock work around would perhaps. Anyone have centralized internal or external overflows with a 18" deep tank have other opinions? I am planning on going to Brian's meeting next weekend, but then again I beleive AQuatic Ob. sales ends right around that time.Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks, Bob

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'll make it 3 for reef ready. I'm running both right now and prefer the RR. I've had my share of floods with the external overflow.

I'm running an external overflow on my 55, and while I've had no floods from it, I will say that it has been a pain in the posterior. Noisy and difficult to keep clean. My next tank will definitely have internal overflows. Seems there are just way more options in that arena than the hang on back. And by the time you get done with the extrenal overflow boxes, silencing apparatus, screens to keep fish and snails out, the extra plumbing etc, you probably will have spent as much going that route as you would buying a reef ready tank.

I've done both and prefer the internal overflow but there is nothing wrong with an overflow box. The only suggestion I'd make with the overflow box is to make sure the height "bolt" is really snug and the overflow box doesn't move. I had an incident where I was cleaning the tank and hit the overflow box. It raised up about 1.5-2" inches and water came out over the sides of the tank.

The other downside to the external overflow box is that it will stick out about 3 to 4 inches from the back of the tank. The just means you can't put the tank/stand right up against the wall but need to leave some space for the overflow box.

Carlo

Love our external. It gives so much more space in the tank, although it is custom. I think steve68 has pictures of drilling a tank for an external, you might want to check out his site.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I think there's a BIG difference between "External Overflow" and an "Overflow Box". My preference would be external overflow first, internal overflow second, and then the overflow box as the least favored option. With the overflow box it seems to be just waiting for failure.

If you are going to use a standard 125 gal. tank, the internal overflows do not have to be in the corners, there are several manufacterers that have the overflows placed 1/3 of the way in on either side. Also, again if using a standard 125, your looking at an 18" depth so your side view is not a great viewable section. If you want a good viewable side and must have the 6' front view, Would go up to a 180 for the 24" sides. Otherwise, go down to a 120 which is a 4' front with 24" sides. This tank also has corner OR the 1/3 in on each side overflows. This way, your side view is worth the effort.

As far as flooding with syphoning, You can seal the bottom of your stand with silicone and give it a couple of coats of latex paint on the inside and you will have effectively made a good watertight catch basin that you can shopvac out. Merv demonstrates this in his DIY tank stand.

Wow...great info. Thanks much everyone. I have some things to think through and hopefully talk through with some of you in one of the meetings comingu.

NOTHING comes easy in this hobby! ::) But then again it just wouldn't be as much fun wouldn't it??

I will start by having a look at steve68's site. The notion of going 180 had crossed my mind, but I think it is a bit out of reach. I can just see my wife converting it into a indoor swimming pool for our two infants

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Subliminal said:
What is an external overflow if not the box? Is this when you drill the tank and use the bulkhead, but then..?

There is the usual hang on back type of overflow box that relies on a shipon to work, but there is also an external overflow that is a little different. It's sort of like the hang on type, except it's built onto the outside of the tank. Generally there is a slot cut just below the top line of the tank that water overflows through. It goes into an external box with bulkheads in it that drains the water to the sump. The advantage is that there is no siphon needed as with the hang on box and there is less of a risk of failure.

Here is a link to Steve68's DIY overflow box (which I plan on doing very shorty, btw)

I agree. Very cool. Makes me re-think sticking to shopping for RR only.

John - What size tank are you going to install this on? (I take it that was your comment on the link itself.
Thx

GO REEF ready you will be sorry if you don't. I have seen and heard horror stories about exterior overflows. It really should not be an opion anymore from manufacutrers.

Attachments

• Santa silver back.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 98

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
boontonbob said:
John - What size tank are you going to install this on? (I take it that was your comment on the link itself.
Thx

I'm putting it on a 125. I'm not sure what size the overflow box needs to be, though. Steve, if you're following this thread, what size box did you make for the one in the link? And is it the same size you'd recommend to put on the SIDE of a 125 (24hx18d)?

Bump to see if Steve68 if following. I'd like to see his response as well. If we don't hear, we can drop him a pm as a heads up.

John - I am considering putting one on a similar sized tank. (125 or 120long) It's good to see you may be doing it...seeing your arrangement in your basement, maybe I can learn some things!

Any concerns about cutting into the side panel of the 125? I question if the thicker glass of a larger tank like this would not as well? (I've never cut glass)Are you going to use a tool similar to what Steve used above?
Thanks

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Bob, I've found it's a little easier on the nerves to cut thicker glass. It takes a little longer but I don't feel like the smallest twitch is going to shatter the panel.

I've used a dremel with a diamond bit in the past and it's worked pretty well. It was only used to cut small circles, though. I think if I'm going to be cutting a long slot I may want to use a rotozip with the same bit Steve used.

I'm going to be tied up for the next few weekends but was thinking about doing the overflow box over the Easter weekend. Phyl and I were kicking around the idea of making it like a mid-month DIY session and having some people over to either lend a hand or just watch and learn.

I know the holiday weekend is a tough time for some people, so if there interest in this but the weekend is no good, let me know and we'll see about doing it the weekend after.

Cool - I have a dremel.

I would probably be up for that...but would have to see that week. (If I go to the meeting on 3-27, I may not be able to take another day "off" of child care for while!)I would love to lend a hand. To bad you are not a little closer...I think I'm about 1 1/2 hrs north.