• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

ORA Green Birdsnest, Magnet fell, now having issues

erics210

NJRC Member
Happy Easter all!
My ORA Green Birdsnest has been doing well.
The magnet gave out and it fell and inside catch it not long after.
I moved it out the way to get the magnet back from the overflow...
And it fell over again from where I had it placed momentarily.

Now 2 days later, I have a few spots of all white branch tips.

Is it possible it was just stung by other corals it fell onto, or is this potentially a bigger issue?
Would you recommend cutting off the dead/white branches?IMG_20210404_093757744.jpg

Last edited:

myrjon

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It is possible it was just stung by other corals.. I had this problem with my redish birdsnest . Seemed to do better by itself.

erics210

NJRC Member
Actually figured out what it may have been.
Bleaching....

I slid the entire light rack back about 10 inches to be able to access the back panel to reattach the magnets and didnt slide the light back. SO the lights ened up DIRECTLY above the colony. Probably kicked the par up quite a bit. I only figured it out when I went to clip the dead sections off and realized, this is way to easy to access this colony.
DUH!

So should be better now...

erics210

NJRC Member
Sadly still loosing branches
Not sure what it could be???
Not many changes in the past week or 2.

This sucks Eric. That’s a really nice birds nest. But your last line was not many changes in the past week or two. Soooo what DID you change. Sometimes something small and seemingly insignificant can effect corals. That on top of falling. Possibly being stung and the increased PAR. I can see that being a problem. With that said. Birds nest is fairly hardy. So if you can think of what you have changed. Perhaps you should go back to how it was (if you can) until it bounces back. And i would cut off bad spots if you can. I have no proof that I can refer to but in my limited experience I have found that bleached areas tend to spread. But if I cut it completely off. my corals seem to bounce back faster. I actually cut into the good area leaving no damaged areas exposed. Perhaps you can experiment and cut off some and leave others alone and see if you see a difference. Best of luck. I hope it bounces back soon.

erics210

NJRC Member
I chopped off a few branches but it is continuing. I have a another piece of it like 10 inches away and no issues.
Seems like I will be chopping off the good parts at lunch.
Damn. Was a great piece.

So Frustrating

erics210

NJRC Member
actually tried dipping it in revive and iodine in case I can get it to stop. It is suck a nice piece as it is... I butchered off a few pieces already.
but would rather try and salvage it as is. we will see.

erics210

NJRC Member
I did use Reef Roids within a day or so of the issue.
BUT the green birdsnest was getting bigger and bigger and was on a magnetic frag rock. It ended up falling over onto some gorgonia and a leather green sinularia. i found it within hours, placed it back, but at that time I slid the light rack back about a foot to access the magnet on the back wall.
Noticed just a little white shortly after.
Maybe the increased par, stinging of the coral.
I do not want to say the reef roids were solely responsible as I have many other SPS including a piece of the identical colony 8 inches to the left which is still doing fine.
I think it has to do with the stinging.

As it is, I salvaged a good amount of it. Glued them to new mag holders....SO...as they grow, I can keep some, and pass some along at a later time.
:)

Still alive, thats the key.

All the fragged portions looking great this morning.

john90009

NJRC Member
Yeah the reef roids wouldn’t be a problem. The only time I can see it being a problem is if a drastic phosphate swing happened and I mean you went from undetected phopahates to above .40 . This has been seen with various tenuis corals as they seem to be the most expensive nowadays and people scrutinize the levels when dealing with them, however a swing higher then that would most likely not due a poccilipora species in as they are bulletproof. I was wondering more on the terms of alkalinity mag and calcium levels.