• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Orange Coralline?

radiata

NJRC Member
Did anyone spring for the "Fluorescent Orange Coralline Algae" that was being hawked by RUSALTY? I wonder how long it will be 'til they have more.

radiata

NJRC Member
I'm not sure I trust them, but here's one of their photos:

1652404702206.png

FWIW, I once accidentally had some lime green coralline growing under anaerobic and low light conditions in a sealed 5G drum. It passed away a few days after I opened the bucket, and it got a dose of fresh air and light. I had a correspondence going with Ron Shimek at the time, and he agreed that it was probably coralline.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
$25?!?!? And sold out?!?

I have a couple bridges I would like to sell some reefers available…..

radiata

NJRC Member
I think my ship has finally come in! I was mucking around in my 135 stock/rock/algae-filter/sump tank this past weekend looking for a perfectly shaped rock to fit into an open spot in my DT's rock wall. And Woo Hoo! I came across a rock with green coralline algae growing on it! Now I just need to figure out how to propagate it. Or maybe I'll just sell it as is to RU$ALTY for a big credit bundle.

On a curious note: my previously mentioned stock/rock/algae-filter tank also has a rock with some neon pink sponge growing on its underside. Unfortunately, it hasn't grown much that I can see since the time I first discovered it many years back. Maybe I should I break up the rock and put a piece in a Nannochloropsis grow out system...

Crabby

NJRC Member
I think my ship has finally come in! I was mucking around in my 135 stock/rock/algae-filter/sump tank this past weekend looking for a perfectly shaped rock to fit into an open spot in my DT's rock wall. And Woo Hoo! I came across a rock with green coralline algae growing on it! Now I just need to figure out how to propagate it. Or maybe I'll just sell it as is to RU$ALTY for a big credit bundle.

On a curious note: my previously mentioned stock/rock/algae-filter tank also has a rock with some neon pink sponge growing on its underside. Unfortunately, it hasn't grown much that I can see since the time I first discovered it many years back. Maybe I should I break up the rock and put a piece in a Nannochloropsis grow out system...
Could you scrape a little, crush then dust any open area in DT(with 0 flow for a while)?
Although reading you said you did find some in a closed 5g which kinda makes me think it doesn't like light to much..... Could be why it was in sump, not sure if u have fuge and any spill over from light